Chapter Fourteen: A Double Life

Resuming his pose at Rene's desk, Hugo stared down at the written notes, his thoughts stuck in the night before. Of the bathhouse. Of Varian.

In his mind's eye, the prince placed a gentle kiss to his cheek, lying beside him on the spread-out towels.

"So that's what Astroglide is," past Varian said with a giggle. "How insightful of you to bring such an item."

"I have my moments."

"No one has ever kept up with me like that before. I am impressed."

"You should be." He giggled again, and Hugo hummed a note of contentment, laying lazy kisses to his lips. "Oh Varian... I think I love you."

"Hm?" He pulled back quickly, the ease and relaxed atmosphere melting as he searched Hugo's face with wide eyes. "You what?"

"U-um, I... love you, Varian."

There was silence, then Hugo was surprised to see tears appearing in those blue eyes. "You do?" he whispered, stroking his face. A bewildered smile appeared a moment later. "I love you too. Oh, Hugo..." He pressed his lips to his cheek, whispering, "I have never uttered those words before."

"You haven't?"

"No." He scooted closer, slotting their legs together. "I have never said it aloud to anyone. I... I love you." He released a shaky laugh. "I love you, Hugo." Taking his face in his hands, he kissed him.

A small grin skirted over present Hugo's lips.

"Pray tell, what has amused you?" Rene asked, and green eyes blinked back into the present.

"Huh?"

The painter chuckled. "You were smiling just now."

"Oh. It's nothing."

"I must admit, you seem a bit preoccupied this morning. May I ask why?"

There was a pause, then, "The prince." Rene made a sound of understanding. "I can't stop thinking about him."

"You are smitten."

"Well, yeah." He was grinning again.

"Any man would be around His Highness. I remember when me and him first met and all that crossed my mind was the handsome prince." A small laugh escaped his mouth. "It still happens from time to time."

"Do you love him?"

"Huh?" Rene nearly dropped his paint palette.

"Sorry. Was that a bad question?"

"No. No." He seemed to be recovering his bearings as he blinked a bunch and resumed his painting.

"I can just tell you really care for him."

There was a pause. "Hugo, I am hardly qualified to answer such a question. What I feel for the prince is superfluous in the grand scheme of things, not when he is to marry Lady Anna and take over the kingdom one day. I am far too beneath him for such a question to hold any weight."

"Oh." He lifted his chin to look up at him. "But what about what you mean to him? Does that not matter?"

"What I mean to—What are you saying, Hugo?"

"I mean, he cares about all his companions, but I know he has a special place in his heart for you. You really do sell yourself short, you know."

He stared at him, his painting hand frozen mid-air. For a moment that's all he did, then he set down the palette, and something closed off was in his face now. "I believe that is a good stopping point for today." He turned from him as he closed the lids on some of his paint. "Tomorrow then?"