Chapter Thirteen: Troubled Waters

Evening rolled around as Hugo soaked away his anxieties in the steamy waters of the massive marble tub.

Varian had once mentioned to him the private bathing room that was always open for Hugo's use. He just had no idea how huge it really was and mistook it for a public bathhouse. The tub stretched around the majority of the spacious room and even with his tall frame, Hugo could completely submerge himself while standing in the center of it. 

At the opposite end of the room were laid out several intricately stitched towels with pillows strewn about where one could relax and cool off when the warm water became too much.

Hugo's hair and body had already been washed and scrubbed, and he simply cooked in the toasty water while picking through his day.

Yawning, he went over everything he and Varian had written to be presented to the king the night before. It took longer than expected, almost all night, and he could only hope the decisions they'd made would have a profound effect, but he just wasn't sure.

There was something else weighing on his mind, or rather someone. He'd spent the whole morning with the bashful painter, and things were going about the same as the day before until... 

Hugo furrowed his eyebrows, staring at the small ripples in the water.

"Oh good, you are here!" Rene's voice filled his head. "Would you like a bite to eat before we begin?"

"I'm good, thanks," past Hugo said, entering Rene's chamber. "Should I get over there and start posing?" He pointed to the untouched desk spot.

"Yes, though allow me to touch you."

"What?"

Brown eyes blinked at him. "Er, I mean to say, your appearance must appear exactly as it did the day before, and your hat is a bit crooked."

"O-oh, right. Yeah, go ahead." He watched as the man got closer and felt as gentle hands adjusted his hat and moved his hair around a bit while he continually checked his sketch for reference.

"Yes, it was about like this. Hm. Oh," he gave a quick chuckle, "did you have jam this morning?" 

"Huh? How'd you know?"

He gave a sideways grin. "It is all over your face, that is how."

"Oh, really?"

"Mm hm." He rubbed his thumb over a spot by the corner of Hugo's mouth. "How did you go out looking like this?"

Hugo took the hand off his face. "I-I've got it. Thanks." Their eyes locked, and Rene stared wordlessly at him. A light pink then filled his cheeks and Hugo wasn't entirely sure why until he realized he'd never let go of him. Blinking away, he released the hand and mumbled a quiet, "Sorry."

"Fret not," he said quickly, clearing his throat before turning and picking up his paint palette. "Anyway, shall we begin?"

Sighing, present Hugo sunk further into the bath until only his head was not submerged.

Why was he feeling this way? It's not like he was unhappy being with Varian, in fact, he'd been missing the prince all day as he spent the day visiting with Duke Pierre, one of his platonic companions.

Couldn't he just be content with one man? He was in a good place with the prince, and yet, what he felt for Rene didn't seem to diminish what he felt for Varian, but then, why did he feel so guilty admitting that to himself?

Spiraling into turmoil, he gave a little shriek when there was a knock at the door.

"Come in," he projected, not bothering to look behind him. "Oh Yong, I know I've been in for a while, but could you work on my shoulders? They're really stiff today. The chamomile you added is lovely by the way."