Chapter Ten: Love Allies

The prince put a hand on his hip. "Rene? What brings you here?"

His companion gave a deep bow. "Prince Varian. I did not know you were coming. Forgive me. I will not take any more of your time."

"There is no reason to be so formal." He came forward, sliding a hand over Rene's waist, first considering him then Hugo. "I do hope you two are finding each other amicable. I do not wish for my companions to be at odds one with another."

"Oh, it's not like that," Hugo assured.

"We were becoming more acquainted," Rene chimed in. "Sir Hugo may have odd mannerisms, but from what I have observed, I believe his heart to be pure."

Varian looked taken aback, as did Hugo. "And you, Hugo? What do you think of Rene?"

"He's great. Super chill guy."

"Chill?" Concern crossed his face. "He is cold with you?"

"No, sorry. It's a phrase. It means agreeable."

"Oh! I see." He beamed at them both. "My companions do not usually get along, so I am glad of the civility you both show towards each other, though of course, I do not know what occurs out of my presence so I cannot be sure of the level of authenticity in it."

"That is true," Rene said good naturedly, "but you of all people would know how well or rather, how unsuccessfully I hide my distaste for those I dislike."

Slight surprise and a smile crept over Varian's face. "You're very forward today, Rene."

"D-does that displease you, Your Highness?" The shy expression seemed to enthrall the prince further, and Hugo had to admit it was a very cute face.

"Not at all." For some reason, Hugo felt zero jealousy watching Varian lay a gentle kiss to Rene's cheek, in fact, it was weirdly a turn on, and he wasn't sure how that made any sense. Varian, however, did not know this and asked, "Does my affection towards Rene leave you uneasy, Hugo?"

He blinked. "No. I would have kissed him too if I were in your position." 

They both stared at him in silence, and Hugo felt like passing away. "Er, that came out wrong. I'm just saying, no, I'm not jealous or uneasy that you see your other companions. Maybe I did for a little bit but not anymore."

"Oh, truly? That's wonderful to hear. I grow tired of the rivalry between the others. Sometimes I feel I cannot stand it. I should be pleased to know at least two of you get along. Rene, dear, we should meet with one another this week. I fear I have ignored you these last few days."

"Worry not, my prince. I do not require constant reassurances. I am not so fragile."

"Mm." Varian rested his hand on Rene's upper arm. "I am glad of it. Tomorrow morning then?"

"I would be honored, Your Highness. I will excuse myself then." He bowed then gave Hugo a small nod.

"Thanks for stopping by," the blond heard himself saying.

Brown eyes studied him. "It was my pleasure." Another nod and he turned and left. Hugo stared at the door for a moment.

"Well, I am in a good mood," Varian said through a smile, reaching out to take Hugo's hand. "Let us dine together then retire to my chamber. What do you say?"

"What do I say?" His eyes were back on the prince. "Your wish is my command." He gave a small wink, and Varian giggled before pulling him forward for a kiss. 

***

"Here is one of my bodies, Hugo." Varian pulled the doublet off himself to reveal the shape wear underneath that hugged around his waist and resembled a corset that was laced in the front and back. Turning around, he modeled the undergarment. "What do you think of it?"