chapter four: the miller's bbq

Thank you that some of you from Teachers Pet are also reading this story. makes me very happy that you guys enjoy this fic too! <3

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚

"Wow Ana, you've really grown up," said Marcus, the Millers' neighbor. She sighed annoyed. Does she have to let every old nasty guy tell her that now?

„Uh yeah obviously, It's been a few years" she replied annoyed, but tried not to show it.

"You look like your mother and sister did back then" he said while taking a sip of his beer.

Annoyed and a bit uncomfortable, Ana turned back to the sink to wash the remaining vegetables and fruits.

"Do you need something from the kitchen or can I help you somehow?" she then asked when he still didn't leave the kitchen.

Today was the Millers' bbq and the house was full of Joel's friends, family and neighbors.

"Uh no, just thought I'd keep you company" he said and sat down on the bar stool to watch her.

And just as she was about to say something again, someone else came into the kitchen.

"Hey Ana, nice to see you again!" Tommy greeted her kindly.

"Oh hi Tommy! Right, we haven't seen each other in ages" she replied with a smile and they hugged briefly.

"Yes, but Sarah talked so much about you anyway, it was as if you'd never been away" he replied with a chuckle.

"Yeah I missed her too. And I'm so thankful that Joel lets me stay here for a while"

"Ah I don't think he would have had any other choice. He can't refuse Sarah's wishes"

Ana remembered that well, Joel was always a good father and Sarah was his little princess. „That's true, but I really owe him one"

"Don't worry about it. And well, do you need help?" Tommy asked her and then pointed to the vegetables that she wanted to cut.

"I wanted to help her too, but the lady didn't want that," Marcus began to talk again. Ana just rolled her eyes, she had already forgotten that he was still here.

„Is he bothering you?" Tommy then whispered, so Marcus couldn't hear him.

„No it's okay, I don't need help. But you could bring that to Joel" she said and handed him a big bowl with corncobs and zucchini.

„Oh yeah sure", he replied and left the kitchen again.

And just a minute later, Joel came into the kitchen.

„You're done?" Joel asked, stepping between Ana and Marcus.

„Uhm yeah I think so, you need help with anything else?" she asked back.

„No, I told you that I don't need any help at all. Go outside and talk to people. Sarah is also in the backyard"

"Yes I know, but the deal was that I would help you around the house"

"You know, if you wanna earn some extra money, you can also help in my house," Marcus then offered.

Joel turned to him and looked at him, "Oh you're still here? Get out of my kitchen"

"I'm just making conversations"

"No you're not. She doesn't want to talk to you. Go out and take care of your kids"

With a sigh, Marcus left the kitchen, leaving Ana and Joel alone.

"I knew I shouldn't have invited him, sorry."