chapter seven: rainy days

The next day in the morning Anabella sat at the kitchen table and painted her fingernails in a dark red.

"Make sure nothing gets on the table" Joel said, sitting across from her reading a newspaper and drinking coffee. Sarah left half an hour ago, and since then Ana and Joel have been sitting together in the kitchen.

"I'm not stupid"

"Just wanted to mention it"

"Don't you have to work or something?" she asked him with a cheeky grin.

Joel put the newspaper down and watched her paint her nails, "It's Sunday"

"Ah yeah right" she replied nodding.

A few minutes later, Joel heard her mutter "Shit" under her breath.

"Did you get it on the table?" he asked sternly.

"No, on my finger" she replied with a sigh and tried to get the nail polish off her finger.

Joel didn't answer anymore and continued reading.

"Do you have nail polish remover?" she then asked and he just looked at her, "Do I look like it?"

"Okay well do you know if Sarah has any?"

"I don't know, you'll have to ask her." So she got up and went to her phone in the living room.

And a minute later she came back, "I'm going to Walmart. That's the closest supermarket, isn't it? And it's open on Sunday, right?"

"You're going to Walmart? Anabella it's pouring outside"

"Yeah I know, but I need nail polish remover. The rain won't kill me"

Joel sighed and put his newspaper down again. He probably won't be able to finish reading them today anyway. "I'll drive you, I need something anyway"

"Oh okay, thank you, Let me change quickly and I'll be ready in a second" she replied and went up to her room.

When she came back downstairs a few minutes later, she was wearing a black tanktop and blue denim shorts. After all, it was still damn hot outside. At the front door she put on her shoes and a rain jacket and waited for Joel.

As the two were walking down the aisles of walmart a few minutes later, Ana became curious, "What do you need?"

"Tommy and two friends of ours are coming over for poker night" he replied.

"Ah okay" she said and took nail polish remover from the shelf.

"Are you working tonight?"

"Nah, I have the next two nights off" she replied while they walked to the drinks aisle.

"Oh okay, but you know you can also invite friends over"

"It's okay, I don't wanna make any fuss," she replied. But that was a lie, since Ana had only been here for about two weeks, she hadn't really made any new friends. Sarah and Kylie aren't here, and she doesn't know Derek, Josh, or Louis well enough to invite them over without Sarah being also here.

"You can play poker right? You could join us"

"Really? Wouldn't that bother the others?"

"No don't worry, Tommy likes you anyways and Robert and Carlos won't mind" he said and then regretted it a second later.
He knows that Carlos and Robert go to Zions frequently and he didn't want it to be awkward for Anabella, as they would certainly ask her about it. But he also didn't want to tell her that she can't be there.

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚

Anabella can play poker, but the four men were simply much better than her. So she quickly got bored and started drinking beer with Tommy.