chapter twenty-two: jealousy

Thank you again for all your votes and comments.
Unfortunately, I sometimes quickly lose the motivation to write,
but your feedback always helps me to come back <3

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚

The next time Ana woke up, she heard someone talking. She rolled over and pressed her head tighter against the pillow. Until she realized that it wasn't a pillow at all, but Joel's chest.

Tired and confused, she opened her eyes. Joel was asleep, but she still heard someone talking. She sat up wearily and stretched.

"No, stay" Joel whispered and put his hand on her lower back.

She turned to him and saw that he still had his eyes closed. "Did I wake you up?" she asked.

"Yes, so lay back down please"

Ana smiled slightly and then lay down next to him again. And to not disturb him, she kept her distance. She lay a few inches in front of him without touching him.

"You're all shy now?" he asked in a whisper and pressed her against his body.

"No, I was just sure that-"

But she was interrupted, "Joel?"

Shocked, Ana sat up again when they heard Tommy's voice.

"Shit," Joel murmured and sat up as well.

"Yes, Tommy?" he asked back.

"We wanted to go to Bill and Frank's before we leave, remember?" Joel's brother asked in front of the closed tent.

"Fuck yes, I'll be right there" Joel replied and put on his shirt.

And Ana tried her best not to stare at his bare chest while he got dressed. Fuck, get your priorities straight, she thought to herself. But his arms just looked too good to look away.

"Wait here, okay? And as soon as we leave, go to your tent, okay? Fast" Joel then whispered and Ana just nodded.

Joel left the tent and walked away with Tommy. And a few moments later Ana walked over to her tent. She opened the zipper and luckily for her, Sarah was still sound asleep.

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚

When they got back to the Miller's house at 4 pm, Sarah immediately changed into her bikini and jumped into the pool.

"Oh god, I missed this pool so much, I hate lakes" Sarah said with a laugh.

Joel sat down on the lounge chair with a grin, "It was your idea to go camping by the lake, Sarah"

"I know, but I still missed the pool" she replied.

Ana was about to go upstairs to her room when Sarah called her, "Hey Ana, don't you wanna come in too?"

Ana stopped and thought for a few seconds, "Uh, yeah sure, why not"

The girls spent the next hour in the pool while Joel stowed the tent in the basement and then started cooking.

Until Ana had to go to the toilet. And when she went back downstairs, the doorbell rang. Confused she looked over to the door.

She looked through the peephole and immediately recognized the woman in front of the door.

Are you kidding me? Maria's Friend?

She wanted to ignore her, but she knew that otherwise Joel or Sarah would let her in, so she opened the door with a fake grin.