chapter eleven: the double date

When Ana sat at the lounge chairs with Sarah and Joel in the evening, she couldn't look Joel in the eyes. It has been weird between them since Sarah left for San Antonio, but since tonight it's been super awkward.

Sarah didn't notice anything weird between Joel and Ana, she just happily cut open a watermelon next to them.

„Hey Ana, you wanna go swimming?" Sarah then asked and handed her a piece of watermelon.

„Uh yeah sure" Ana replied and Sarah got up from the lounger.

„I'll be right back, I'm gonna change quickly" Sarah said and left the two alone.

Since Ana was already wearing her bikini underneath, she took off her tank top and looked over to Joel who was focusing on his newspaper.

„Hey Joel, you wanna go swimming too?" she asked with a grin while she took off her shorts.

Joel looked up from the newspaper but immediately looked down again a few seconds later, „Anabella" he said sternly.

„What? Am I not allowed to swim here?" she asked.

„You know you are. But didn't you say you wanted to be more respectful?" he asked back, his gaze back on her face while he fought the urge to look at her bikini.

„Hey, don't be mean, I am respectful. But you know, I just like teasing grumpy people"

„Oh I know you do, you're a brat" he told her and while she turned to go to the pool ladder, he caught a glimpse of her ass in that bikini.

„Yeah I know, and I know you like that" she said with a grin when she was in the pool.

„Oh you think so?" he asked back as he watched her in the pool.

„I know so" she whispered back, so he could hear her but not Sarah, who was just coming back into the backyard.

„Cannon Ball!" screamed Sarah and jumped into the pool with her knees tucked to her chest.

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚

"What do you mean we should leave the house tonight?" Sarah asked her uncle Tommy, confused, as they stood by the front door with Ana a few days later, on Friday.

"Joel doesn't know anything about it, it's supposed to be a surprise" Tommy replied.

"Okay well I won't be there anyways, I'll go to work in an hour" Ana said.

„Okay and what is this about?" Sarah asked confused.

"He knows that I'm bringing my new girlfriend with me tonight. But he's been alone for so long, so she takes her best friend with her. And then maybe Joel can get to know a woman again" Tommy explained and Sarah crossed her arms.

„That's a dumb idea" Sarah told her uncle.

„Why? I got Joel a date, why shouldn't he be happy about that?"

„Because he hates surprises. And I know that he doesn't want to get to know new women"

"Sarah I know it was always just you two. But don't you want your Dad to have a happy relationship again?"

„I do, but you can't force it on him" she replied annoyed and went to her room.

Tommy looked desperately at Ana, "Can you talk to her? It would mean a lot to me for Joel to meet her. Don't you think that's a good idea?"

„I'm in no position to discuss Joel's love life" Ana replied and also went upstairs to Sarah's room.

"Did I overreact?" Sarah asked concerned as she lay down on her bed.