chapter fourteen: teasing

Joel was surprised how happy Ana was the next day. Or at least how happy she acted like. Although he was sure that she was hiding how she really felt because she didn't want the others to know.

Just after 3pm she was walking down the stairs when she saw Joel vacuuming the living room.

"You're going out?" he asked her after he turned of the vacuum cleaner.

"Uh yeah, But it won't be long" she replied as she put on her shoes.

"Okay, Sarah wanted to have dinner together, us three. Will you be back by then?"

"Yeah, I'm just going over to Zions for a moment"

"Why would you do that?"

"Uh, because I'm going to quit? I told you yesterday" she explained and opened the front door.

"Why don't you just call?"

"Because there's still some of my stuff I have to get"

Joel nodded, "Okay, I'm coming with you" he said and unplugged the vacuum cleaner.

"Really?" she asked surprised and closed the front door again.

"Yes, unless you want to be alone?"

"No, I don't mind company" she replied and waited for him to also put on his shoes.

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚

Half an hour later Joel was sitting at the bar while Ana was in the office with her boss. He was staring impatiently at his glass when she came back.

"Ana please" her boss called as he went after her.

She sighed annoyed and turned around, "You know what, okay. But I want it right when I leave" she told her boss and went to the office again.

"Hey Anabella wait, what's that about?" Joel asked her confused.

She walked past Joel behind the bar and put on her apron.

"Stop, what are you doing? I thought you quit?"

"I did, don't worry. He asked me to only work for one more hour, then the others would come. He gives me a 100 bucks, I can't say no to that, you know I have to save for my own apartment" she explained and took Joel's empty glass off the counter.

"Why do you always want to please everyone? You don't have to say yes just because he's asking you to, Anabella"

"I know, but you don't understand. I finally want to achieve something on my own. I was dependent on my sister for the last few years. And now you and Sarah. I don't want that. I'll stay another hour, he pays me in cash and then I'll never come back here"

"You know I'm not rushing you to move out. You can stay as long as you need with us, okay? And I know you don't wanna be here right now, so let's go home"

"Thank you so much for bringing me here, sorry if it caused you any trouble. But you don't have to wait, Go home and I'll walk, that's no problem"

"I'm not leaving without you. Not after what happened yesterday"

"Joel when I leave it'll be 5pm. Long before it gets dark" she replied with a chuckle.

Joel sighed loudly and took out his wallet, "Can I have another drink, please? I'll wait till you're leaving"

"Yup, coming right up" she replied him with a smile.

After putting the glass in his hand, she wanted to give him the change, but he didn't take it, "Keep it"

"Joel don't be like that, it's four dollars and you gave me 20"

"Yeah it's okay"

"No it's not, I don't want your money" she replied grinning, leaned over the counter and stuffed it into the breast pocket of his flannel.

"Anabella, just take that fucking tip" he whispered when he took out the bills again.

"Nope" she replied with a grin and walked past him to bring drinks to a table.

He noticed how she started flirting with the men at the table, while not taking her eyes off Joel. She was teasing him again, and he knew she enjoyed it. And as she passed him again, she smiled innocently at him.

"Come here" he told her and after a short hesitation she stood in front of him.

"Closer" he whispered and Ana took a step closer. She felt him put his hand gently on her lower back and she got goosebumps right away.

"Don't be so fucking stubborn, okay?" he said as his hand slid a little lower and he saw her start to blush, while Joel stuffed the bills in her jeans pocket.

For the rest of the hour he had to watch her flirt a little with customers and get huge amounts of tips in return. Tense, he got into the truck. Anabella got into the passenger seat and then after a few minutes started talking to him, "Thank you Joel"

"It's okay"

"No it's not, you're doing so much, I'm starting to feel bad. I really don't want you to think that I'm taking advantage of you being nice" she said while she watched him drive.

"I know you're not, don't worry about it, okay?"

"Okay" she said back and looked out of the window.

After a few minutes, Joel noticed that she was getting more and more nervous. "What's wrong?" he asked, his eyes still on the street.

"You know, I kinda wanted to ask you something" she replied.

"Ask" he told her and her eyes were on him again.

"Well uh, I was just wondering, you kinda never told us about that double date" she mumbled.

Surprised, he looked over at her after stopping at the red light.

"Oh, you're nosy, hm?" he asked back with a grin.

"No I'm not, just wanted to make some conversation" she replied and looked into his eyes.

"Well, it was good I guess" he said and leaned in a bit closer.

"Good?" she asked back with big eyes and also got a little closer.

Joel noticed how she began to breathe faster and how she opened her mouth lightly.

"Yeah but my thoughts were somewhere else" he whispered and lowered his gaze onto her lips.

They stared at each other's lips for a few seconds as Joel placed his hand on her cheek and pulled her closer. And without hesitation, she placed her lips softly on his.

He immediately kissed her back and gently stroked her cheek. He had waited longer for this moment than he would admit to her. But now that it was happening, he was enjoying it. A lot. And so was she. Kissing Joel felt exactly how she imagined it.

Ever since their almost-kiss some nights ago, Ana thought about it a few times. And now that she knew how it felt, she loved it. The kiss was so gently and rough at the same time, she felt like she was melting under his touch.

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚

hope you liked it <3