Part 18

Katie

The next few months were a blur. The other Paladins and I were incredibly busy helping the world rebuild. It didn't take very long for small shops to pop up here and there, run by Humans and Aliens alike. Unfortunately, I didn't see much of Percy during the day, as he was always off in Long Island, or San Fransisco, doing something. I wasn't sure what was so special about those two locations, but I expected that was a demigod thing.

Today was our last day before the IGF-Atlas and its crew left Planet Earth, to play peacekeeper. Shiro had ordered us all to take a day off and relax with our families.

The most infuriating thing was that my mother had GROUNDED me. Finding my brother and saving my father didn't cancel out the fact that I ran away. Due to this, my mother decided that I wasn't allowed out of her sight.

Now, I was stuck on the Atlas all day, keeping track of plants. It was an incredibly boring schedule compared to the life of a Paladin of Voltron, but it was the one I was cursed with.

So imagine my curiosity when Percy freaking Jackson stumbled into the Atlas' greenhouse, looking more nervous than I had seen a person in my entire life.

Now, in hindsight, this wasn't anything new, as Percy had been the previous record-holder for 'most nervous person'. But, my curiosity peaked, when I noticed that Keith had practically shoved his brother into the room, and stood outside to make sure he didn't leave. Percy walked up to my mother, sweating profusely. I glanced at Keith, but he was watching Percy carefully. My boyfriend pretty much never made eye contact with anyone, not even me. But right now, he was considerably more avoiding eye contact. "I-I... I would like, um-" He continued stuttering for about 10 seconds before my Mom stopped him.

"Percy, honey, just spit it out." She said exasperated.

Percy looked at his shoes, he said something, too quiet to hear.

"Sorry," Mom said, "what was that?"

"I would like to borrow Katie for the day..." he said sheepishly, "I know she's grounded, but Keith is telling me to go somewhere before we leave, but I don't think I can do it without her..."

I watched my mother with rapt attention, judging her reaction. She was inspecting the speedster closely. "Alright," she finally said, Percy sighed as if the fate of the world had been lifted from his shoulders. "But only if you come to dinner tonight at the Holt's." He raised an eyebrow. That had not been the condition he was expecting.

After debating silently with his brother, he turned to my mother and nodded. "We can do that. What time?"

"6:00," I chirped,

"I know you have super speed. If you're late I'll have you grounded too."

Percy grinned grabbing my hand and leading me out of the room. "Thanks, Mrs. Holt!"

Once we were out of earshot, Percy leaned in close, arms around my waist. He shot off and suddenly we were in a city somewhere. "Okay," He said, "I've got us the day, what do you want to do?"

"Oh, my goodness I love you!" I instantly grabbed his face and kissed him. I looked around, "Where are we, Percy?"

He looked up, "This is the corner where I grew up." He said, "East 104th and First, Upper east side, Manhatten." He didn't seem like he felt any emotion for the place whatsoever. "I was telling your Mom the truth, though." I raised an eyebrow. "There's one thing that Keith wants me to do, and then I'm all yours. Alright?"

"Sure," I agreed easily, "where are we going?"

He looked down, "I think it would be better if I just showed you, but first," he pulled out a small, pink canister and handed it to me. I took it cautiously. "It's New York," he shrugged, "Your parents would kill me if something happened, but I think it would be better if you didn't stab or electrocute anyone." I nodded carefully.