Part 27

There is a long flashback at the end of this chapter. I didn't italicize it, but I wrote a warning at the beginning of it. :)

Percy

"I know this place," I muttered. Shiro, the other paladins and I were all in a white room, empty except for us and Honerva a few metres away. I remember fighting Honerva. She had just destroyed all but one reality. Her mech struck the final strand of reality with her blade and... now we were here. "In my dreams. I spoke to my mother, here."

"Then you know that there is no way out," Honerva said. "Nowhere to leave, and nowhere to go."

I looked over at her. She was on her knees, looking down.

"So what are you going to do now?" I replied calmly. "You did it. You won. But you can't get out of here either."

She looked up at me. "My sanity is a small price to pay for purity."

"Is it?" I asked. "You're not the first person I've met who wanted some form of a better world. You just ended our world, but you didn't leave enough left behind to do it better. This is just... genocide."

"I believe I have a solution," Alura stepped in. She turned to Honerva. "We have a lot in common. I lost everything. My family, my father, my planet. But then, I found a new family." While she was speaking I walked to stand with the others.

I had looked into the future. I knew something important was going to happen, I just didn't know what. Alura and Honerva talked for a little while.

Eventually, Alura turned to us. "This is where we part ways."

"What no..." I said. The others all made their objections to the idea. The princess approached us.

"This is our only chance to undo what has been done," she said. "To save all of existence. I have to take it. It is my purpose. Your paths go on. Mine ends here."

"But there is no voltron without you," Hunk muttered in a weak protest. Alura stood in front of him.

"Voltron isn't needed anymore," She told him. "The rest of the work is up to the people, and they'll have you to guide them, Hunk." They embraced tightly, and Hunk wiped his tears. Alura turned to Katie. "Goodbye Pidge."

"I'm gonna miss you, Alura," She said seriously.

The princess smiled lightly and wrapped her arms around the smaller girl. She whispered something, but I couldn't make it out.

"Most of them won't know the sacrifice you made so they could live," Shiro said.

"And they'll never need to," She replied simply, standing before him. "Your selflessness taught e that." She hugged him tightly. "Thank you."

"You never have to thank me for anything."

Keith

Alura turned to me after speaking with Shiro. "Keith... I cannot thank you enough for all you've given me."

I looked down slightly. "Alura, when you accepted me, it helped me to accept myself," I said, seriously. "Thank you."

She hugged me, "There is greatness in your heart... and in your actions." She let go and stepped back.

She spoke quietly to Lance, so I couldn't hear what they were saying. My heart broke. Those two were like brother and sister. I couldn't even imagine what I would do if something happened to Percy. I wouldn't know how to live.

I looked over at my brother. He was standing awkwardly, face blank despite the tears. His eyes darted around, looking anywhere that didn't contain people. One of his hands shook violently, patting his thigh. A tick. He does it when he's nervous. Alura walked over to him. "I've always admired you, a bit," she admitted. "Remain adaptable, and changing."