Part 33

Percy

I woke with a start when someone knocked on my front door. I was in bed, and my head was on Katie's chest. I groaned as the knock sounded again. A growl escaped my girlfriend's throat. "I swear, if we get up and it's some random door-to-door salesman, I'm going to murder someone."

I laughed. "Just a minute!" I shouted to the person at the door, unsure if they heard me. I turned to Katie and kissed her. "How long have I been asleep?"

She smiled, "Almost 14 hours," My eyes widened.

"And you stayed here the whole time?" I asked, "Just for me?"

She nodded. "Yup, you looked so cute!" She was ginning. "Did you know you don't snore, like, at all?"

I kissed her cheek. "Thank you. That was very sweet, and no, I didn't know that."

The knock sounded again and I sighed. "I'll just..." I quickly threw on a sweater and hurried to the front door. I swung the door open to reveal two people.

One was a young girl, maybe 12 or 13, with a green dress, short-cut black hair and red glasses much too big for her face. The other was an older boy, maybe my age or a little younger. He had a mop of reddish brown hair, a grey t-shirt and a bow and quiver slung over his back with a Ukulele tied to his belt. Something about him was familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it. "Percy!" The boy greeted me as if he were excited to see me.

"Um, do I know you?" I asked, studying the boy closely.

His face fell and he looked down at himself. "Well, yes and no. Long story short, I'm the god Apollo, but Zeus punished me to a mortal form, a teenager called Lester Papadopolous, and my only chance to return to my true self is by healing the five oracles. There's only one more. Delphi. And I desperately need your help."

My expression hardened more and more as he spoke. "Alright, let's say I believe you," I started, "what makes you think I can help you?"

"Percy?" Katie asked, walking up behind me. "Who's that?"

"Demigods," I replied.

She pursed her lips. "Quest-goers?

I looked at them, and Lester nodded his head. "Y-yes,"

Katie looked at me expectantly. "Well invite them in already!" She rolled her eyes, "I never met your mother but I know for certain that she raised you better than that. I'll go make coffee."

She strutted off toward the kitchen. I sighed, stepping aside to let strangers into my home.

I led the two teens to the couch and gestured for them to sit. "You have a lovely home," the girl said politely, looking at Kaite in admiration.

"Thank you," I said. "Perhaps some introductions. My name's Percy Jackson, Basket Case Extraordinaire. You just met my girlfriend, Katie."

Apollo cleared his throat. "Right. I'm Lester Papadopolous, but you know me as Apollo. This is Meg McCaffery. We're on a quest to restore the Five Oracles. The only one left is Delphi, the one you'd likely be the most familiar with."

"If you're Apollo, then you know you're wasting your time by coming to me," I said. "You know the Ancient Laws."

He sighed, "Yes. You are the son of Zoran. A Norse deity. Even if I was still a god, I would have no jurisdiction over you," He said. "We are well aware that you will not help us retake the Oracle. All we ask is that you give us a means of transportation to Camp Half-Blood."

Katie walked over at that moment. The house had an open-floor plan except for the bedroom and bathrooms. She placed her hand on my shoulder. "It's not an unreasonable request," She told me. "I'll go with you, too. With the lions, we'll be there and back fast."