Chapter 21

I shut the door behind me.
My legs feel like jello after that confrontation so lean up against the door for support.

Is this for the best?

Stella comes out of the bathroom with her small toiletry bag.

"Did you guys talk?" she asks with a smile

Oh, sis. You have no idea

"Yeah we did."

"AAAAAAAnd?"

I shake my head "We didn't solve anything. It's still the same thing. It'll always be that woman over me." I say rushing through the words

She strides over me and grabs my hand
"No it'll always be his daughter. That woman is just what comes with her and sadly a part of it. You don't think he likes her do you?"

"No of course not. If he did he would'nt be with me."

"Then? Whats the problem!" She says in an exasperated tone.

"Jamie and I... we need some time to ourselves. Time to focus on what's important."

"So what?"

"So that means, I'm calling off our engagement."

"Da-"

"Don't. I made up my mind. Stella I can't do this anymore. This triangle is going to get dangerous and I can't let my baby be in the middle of this like Dulcie has. I can't stand the fact that Dulcie is caught up in all of this. What kind of mother would I be if I had my child grow up with this drama....... No I have to do this"

I shake my head as shaking it would be helping me convince myself of what I just said

"We leave tonight. Book a flight back to Los Angeles.
We're coming home."

"And what are you going to tell Jamie?" She searches my eyes.

"I'll take care of that. Do what I just said and pack up."

"Because you're my sister I'm doing this but I just think you're going about this the wrong way." She shakes her head and leaves the room
----

All our bags are packed and the room is emptied out of our personal items. The flight to Los Angeles is booked and we're out the door by 9 pm.

I take one last look at Jamie's hotel room door a little hesitant.

"Dakota are you sure about this?" Stella asks

I look down at the blanket Jamie got me, skimming my fingers over our initials. I fold the blanket and bend to set it down in front of his door.

"I'm sure" I say as I stand back up.

Stella, the bellboy, that has a cart with our suitcases, and I walk into the elevator.

I take a small envelope from my pocket and look down at it.

"Ready miss?" says the bell boy

I inhale and exhale.

"Yes" and the elevator doors close.

------

I walk down the lobby towards the main entrance but stop when I reach concierge.

"Miss Johnson, I hope you enjoyed your stay?"

"I did thank you, I need one last favor"

"Yes"

"When Mr. Dornan checks out can you please give him this" I hand her the small envelope.