Chapter 19

Sofia was sat in the dojo, her hands set on her knees. She was trying to meditate, but her mind wasn't helping her at all.

"Sofia, are you alright?"

She opened her eyes to look at Splinter who had knelt in front of her. "I'm okay. Just a bit overwhelmed today is all. Full moon tonight. Everyone's aura is amplified."

Splinter raised a brow. "Everyone's aura?"

"Yeah. My ma told me that's what it was. I've always been sensitive to the life force of other people. It's normally not a problem, but the full moon just makes it a bit overwhelming," Sofia explained.

"Interesting," Splinter spoke slowly as he stroked his beard.

"Normally meditating helps, but I've just..." Sofia trailed off with a quiet sigh. "I've had a lot on my mind and for some reason I just can't seem to clear my thoughts."

"Perhaps talking about it would help?" Splinter suggested.

The kunoichi frowned as she looked down. "I don't know... it's... kinda embarrassing..."

How was she supposed to explain to him that she was absolutely infatuated with his son, but he now had eyes for someone else who happened to be their enemy? That she had been comparing herself to the enemy and her confidence was dwindling even though she knew it was stupid?

"I understand if you don't feel comfortable talking to me about whatever is afflicting you, but I do think you should talk to someone. It isn't healthy to let your thoughts sit and lead you into a downward spiral," Splinter advised.

She gave a small nod as her lips curled into a smile. "Thank you, Sensei. I'll be okay. Just a bump in the road."

Splinter returned her smile, admiring her optimistic outlook. He rose to his feet and opened his mouth to speak when he felt a sharp pain go through his head.

He let out a cry as he gripped his head, falling back to his knees.

Sofia shot up quickly and was at his side in seconds. "Splinter?! Are you okay?"

Leo and Mikey were the first to make it into the dojo, followed by Raph, and then Donnie.

"Sensei, are you okay?" Donnie questioned quickly as they all hovered around Splinter.

Splinter held his head as he sat on his heels. "I am fine."

"Are you sure you're all right? You don't seem-" Leo started before Donnie's ringtone went off.

"Hey, that's April's ring tone!" Donnie announced with a bright smile, only for Mikey and Raph to begin making kissy faces at him.

Sofia snickered as she nudged the two boys.

"Hey, April," Donnie said before clearing his throat, trying to sound more suave. "I mean, hey, April. I mean-"

"Donnie, stop talking. I need some help. I'm having a little bit of a pest problem."

🍕

"Oh, wow, the city is so beautiful in the daytime. Except for the, you know, billions of rats," Mikey commented as they ran along the roofs through the cloudy day.

"Actually, the entire rat population of New York is only about thirty six million, which-"

"I will smack you out of your shell," Raph threatened as he glared at Donnie.

Sofia chuckled lightly before she came to a halt after seeing April on top of the telephone pole.

"Uh, guys, we may have a problem," Leo said, having stopped beside Sofia.