Chapter 2

I wasn't a fan of large gatherings, especially inside a massive wooden house in the middle of Fontenelle forest. That was the only thing this tiny town was known for. This large expanse of woods a couple of hours away from our University were full of random cabins owned by the extremely wealthy. Our parents even owned one of the cabins but it was in one of the newer sections that was built in the last 10 years. As if my anxiety wasn't already choking me, this one was placed particularly farther into the forest and that put me on edge.
You might as well just push me, Cecily. I thought to myself. I'm teetering so fucking close, the tiniest breeze could send me over.
I could feel the magic buzzing here. These woods were crawling with all the magical creatures that wouldn't mind having a tasty human as a snack.
The red strings of fate surrounding my sister doubled the moment we had stepped out of her Porsche. Cecily was dressed in a pink chic bodysuit with white knee high boots with the thinnest of heels. How those fucking things didn't sink all six inches into the dirt and mud is beyond me. No matter how much magic I possessed, I'd never understand that.
My sister tried to put me in something pink but I explained to her that the only way I was going is if I exclusively did not wear pink. I even went as far as telling her I would die if I stared too long at the color. Then she told me I was being over dramatic and shooed me out of her room to choose something for myself.
Graciously, because my queen of a sister is so kind, she allowed me to wear high waisted jeans and a black bodysuit with sleeves that ruffled at the end. It was simple and I honestly didn't want more than that.
She bounced into the cabin, swaying to the music as she instinctually found her nearest group of friends, completely leaving me at the front door. I sighed, slowly drifting and weaving through the gyrating and swaying crowd of bodies to the kitchen. I pulled a Truly's from the top of a large pile of ice, popping it open, and taking a small sip.
I wasn't a big fan of alcohol but Truly's was one thing I could tolerate.
My taste buds never fully grew in when I aged in this human body. Most things tasted bland and gross and apparently that dubbed me as a picky eater. It's not my fault Story Witch's can't enjoy nice things.
I slunk further into the cabin, far enough back where I could become a solid wallflower but could still keep my eyes on my twin.
I scanned the crowd, letting a whisper of my magic extend through the room. I could feel my sliver of magic pass through the hearts and souls of human after human after...
That's a Werewolf.
Um, okay, that's quite rare. They rarely leave their pack grounds and they most certainly never leave their grounds alone. At least two others were with him but still.
Wait, there's a vampire...and a Werebear. And a Merman. And a Necromancer. And a Deatheater. And a Lightbringer. And a Mage...with an unbelievable amount of magic, almost matching mine. He was definitely a Royal Mage, one that shouldn't be alone with a bunch of other creatures present.
I blinked, channeling my mana to change my perception from human view to magic view. My eyes were met with endless rainbows on and off the spectrum.
The swirls of color swishing here and there, so blinding that I had to squint through it all just to try to differentiate who they were coming from. Swishes of blue surround one group while orange and even pink surrounded another. They may have been less in number than the actual human population at the party but it was enough to keep my theoretical hackles raised. I continued to scan the crowds but it seemed like it was just those creatures. Though eight of them had power that was quite overwhelming even for their kind.
And they were all underneath one roof.
Oh Gods.
My eyes continued to jump between the eight creatures, until I remembered my true objective was to keep eyes on my sister. I looked towards her friends only to find her completely missing.
Fucking great.
I peeled myself from the wall, vigorously scanning the crowd. I slowly walked through the swaying bodies of the small hallway, into the living room, making sure to keep my distance from her friends.
Mica, the small skinny Latina, was the one girl everyone was afraid to cross. Everyone except for my sister, which is why the group tends to flock with her versus the she-bitch that was staring daggers. I tried to avoid Mica because she's an attention-seeking, entitled, bitch of a human and I have no issues with letting my temper run wild. She's also still pissed with me because I was paired with her boyfriend for a chem project this semester, and at the end of it he weirdly decided to drop a marriage proposal.
To me.
In front of Mica.
I had to reassure my sister several times that I didn't sleep with him. To be honest, I haven't slept with any human and I think I prefer to keep it that way.
My sister and her destiny is my only priority. I couldn't afford distractions. Especially why I don't know when her story starts.
I caught Mica's passing glare but I rolled my eyes at her and kept it moving.
Scanning the crowd again, I realized that the powerful eight were all turning their attention in one particular direction. They set their sights on something and my gut was telling me to find my sister.
Now!