Chapter 16

A date.
The idea never crossed my mind but when Ali asked me, I could feel my magic swirl in excitement.
A real date with a real boy. The idea startled me, not even realizing that this was an activity I could do. Never in any story did I have any sort of wet relationship.
I was a side character so it's not like anyone ever noticed me.
Not until I came to this story where boys noticed me all the time.
"Come on, Cee." Ali brushed a finger up my arm. "I know you're going crazy in here."
An actual fucking date.
More time had passed since Ali had notified me that they gathered the third book. I had gotten more motivation to navigate the room, peeking in drawers and even taking a look at his walk-in closet that I didn't even know was here.
He had waved his hand, uncovering it from whatever magic that hid it. He followed me through it as I fingered through the many suits and formal wear. My eyes had wandered back to him, picturing what he looked like all dressed up.
I think he would look so handsome, especially if he kept his black hair with that perfect swoop in the front.
"Where would we even go?" I asked , looking up at him from my pillow.
I had been about to drift to sleep, when he had broached the subject. He was laying next to me, his chest flushed against my arm.
He had stopped caressing my arm, moving his hand under my shirt to caress the skin around my belly button.

"Maybe the mall. We can get you clothes." He smiled teasingly. "I mean, I am okay with you wearing my t-shirts. They look nice on you."

I rolled my eyes. "They look nice because I don't wear pants anymore. I know what you're really looking at."

I know. It's weird that things are this way. I should have the ick from showing another guy so much but Ali truly did make me feel safe. His touch was reassuring. His voice was soothing. As the days passed, I craved him more and more. My magic would reach for his and then intertwine, regardless if I was near him or in a different room. But the connection was the strongest when he was touching me. I couldn't be completely naked but no pants with underwear was the perfect substitute.

He grabbed a handful of the t-shirt I was wearing, using his other hand to wrap around my waist. He pulled me close, resting his head in the crook of my neck.

"I can't help it." He said. "You're the most beautiful thing I've ever laid eyes on."

He's been doing that too. Complementing me as if it's going out of style. He hasn't once brought up the Story Witch thing which actually surprised me. Most people had questions but not Ali. It was like he didn't care, continuing to show me the more affection than he was giving me earlier. Deep down, this made me happy. I had never indulged in a boy's affection but him, it was like he met different criteria. A criteria that I didn't know even existed.

I smiled at him, no longer fighting it. "Ali."

"The mall?" He peeked up at me. "You can get whatever you want and I'll pay for it. We can even go to one in a different state."

He wasn't wrong. I was going stir crazy. The more I sat here, the more I remembered. I didn't know that my own mind could play such cruel games with me. And the nightmares didn't make things any better.

I pat Ali's head. "Okay. We can go on a date."

He abruptly sat up, making eye contact with me. A wide grin spread onto his face, before lifting me from the bed with a quick jerk, and carrying me over to the closet, where he gently placed me onto my feet.

He went to the back, pulling out clothes, assessing them before shifting for more. Finally, he pulled out a flowy black dress, sleeveless with a thin elastic band for the neck hole. He handed it to me, turning the other way to rummage clothes for him. I pulled off his tshirt, slipping the dress over my head. It surprisingly fit really well, accentuating the curve of my hips and stopping mid thigh.

It was very comforable, almost silky. I smoothed out the creases before looking back over at
Ali. He was pulling on a pair of black skinny jeans. He grabbed a t-shirt with long sleeves with a cartoonish skull on the front. He ran his fingers through his hair, reaching behind a rack of suits to pull out a pair of all black converses. He held them out to me, urging me to slip them on.

After he slipped on a pair of combat boots, he swooped me up again, walking out the closet back towards the bedroom. Except, when he passed through the doorframe, I was met with blinding sunlight and rows of cars.
He put me onto my feet, placing his hand on the small of my back to steady me.
It took a second for my eyes to adjust. I could see a large building at the end of the long line of cars but couldn't make out the title. Why was it so bright?
"Let's get out of the middle of the road." He said, nudging me over towards the cars on the right side.
Finally, my eyes adjusted as my fingers brushed a car. It was absolutely filthy but the massive store in front of me was actually a Macy's.
"Where are we?"
"A mall." Ali smiled, earning an eye roll from me. "Don't worry about it. Let's just go in."
I eyed the Macy's again before taking his hand.
👩🏽‍🤝‍👨🏼

This was the first real date I had been on and it was actually quite fun. Ali was a golden retriever or some sort of gentle breed.
He followed close behind, making sure I didn't stray too far as I browsed the stores. Occasionally, he'd hold my hand or put his hand onto my waist. At one point, I felt him wrap his arm around my shoulders, pressing his lips into my hair. It had surprised me, causing me to freeze.
"Stop looking at the price tags." He whispered. "I'll get it for you."
"I can't let you do that." I said, putting back this really cute top.
"I want to do it." He squeezed me tighter. "As much as I like seeing you in my t-shirts, you're going to need clothes. Socks. Shoes. Underwear."
"That's a lot of stuff."
"And I have a lot of money." He reached for the top. "Just get whatever. I will buy it. There's no limit."
I sighed, taking back the top. "Fine but you're going to regret it."
So, every store we went to, I was grabbing things on and off the shelves, filling aisles with all the things I wanted. Granted, however, I only bought a max of five or six things from a store. I'm not sure where he was putting the bags but his hands were always free despite me giving each to him. Without a care in the world, Ali would swipe his black metal card. He never looked at how much I had spent.

It was a little after noon when my stomach had growled and Ali's echoed in return. We had stopped by the food court which was actually quite massive. There was a large selection of fast food chains but I settled on one of my favorites, Chic-fil-A.

Ali had me take a seat while he had went to order our food. We had previously stopped at a bookstore where I had picked up an interesting looking book on Wicca. I had chose to hang on to it, seeing that Ali was sending the bags somewhere. I needed something to do so I didn't look like a complete weirdo sitting by myself, staring at a wall. As I started flipping through the pages, I noticed three different shadows surround me, and I had looked up, meeting the gray eyes of a young man.