Chapter 12

*Trigger Warning. Read with caution.*

It took everything in me not to blanch. The Tales of the Future.

That book shouldn't have existed in this world. Only in the Realm of Stories. Not here. Not in any of the stories. But why was it here?

How did the Story Witches lose something so important? And why did these men have it?

"What's that?"

"We don't know." Ramsey swung open the door, gesturing me to go in first.

It was already visible through the doorway. A golden book sitting on a pedestal in the middle of the room. It was just like i remembered it.

I stepped into the room, noting that we were in one cylindrical chamber with walls covered in books. I noted three other pedestals, all empty. I took one step towards the golden book, and my magic jerked. Another step, a buzz. One more step, and it felt like electrical sparks ignited my nerves. I froze because it felt like I was entering dangerous waters. My magic was telling me this wasn't a good idea. However, this was Elder Teacup's book. All the elders were supposed to safeguard their books.

All four of them.

It's how we kept the Realm of Stories running. It kept all the stories in order and us regular witches were in charge of maintaining the flow. If all the books were here, it makes sense of why Cecily had so many red strings. Most story have only one but it's also possible to have up to five but since this is a reverse harem, seven or eight is also possible. She's always had more. More than the standard.

"The Oracle charged us to collect these books with no context at all." Ramsey explained. "We track them using something that the Mage and the Whore-witch cooked up together. Honestly, I think those two are more close than they want others to know. Oh, sweet Ray, betraying your dear sister."

I couldn't peel my eyes away. My mind simply couldn't wrap around the possibility. This was impossible. I honestly don't know what could have caused the books to cross over. No, they were forced over. The Elders had to have done it. Were they forced? Did this have something to do with the story?

I stepped closer to the book, not even realizing the distance between me and the door was growing wider. Not until I heard the rough click of it closing, and the hairs of my arms raised. I quickly turned around, seeing Ramsey smile at me innocently, with the closed door behind him.

"Is it true that Alister gave you a bit of his power?"

I shrugged, crossing my arms so I could appear tougher. "I don't know. I really don't feel anything different. But he's really insistent that he did."

"So," He moved towards me but I stood my ground. "Are you fond of him?"

"Well, he basically saved me so I don't have hostility towards him, unlike the rest of you."

He crept forward slowly, as if I was a tiny animal and he was a beast cornering his pray. My everything was currently tingling. My magic whirred, turning inward and making itself as small as possible. I could feel it trembling as if it was scared. This was weird. He couldn't possibly do anything to me without upsetting Cecily.

"I could care less about what the rumors say about that poor sod." He finally stopped, leaning down to look over me. "I'm more curious about how you sent a werewolf flying across the room. That was...spectacular." He hissed a little bit, showing a slight bit of fang. A chill was trying to force it's way down my spine but I continued to hold my ground. Why was I so uneasy?

"I don't-"

"I doubt you would know." Ramsey leaned down next to my ear, his breathe releasing the shiver I was trying so hard to hide. "I wonder if Cecily was just a distraction and you-"

"That's enough." I attempted to nudge him back but ended up pushing myself away from him. I didn't stop there, and made sure to put distance between us. "I am not the chosen one nor would I like to be one. It might have been a coincidence or in Ali's head. I don't know!"

"I don't think so." In the blink of an eye, he closed the space. Before I could breathe, his lips found mine.

He was cold. Unbearably cold.

I attempted to push him away but he was like a massive cement block. He wasn't budging. He wasn't even reacting nor was he showing any indication that I was trying to shove him off me. When he finally pulled away, he looked into my very terrified eyes, his red irises glowing.

"You are much softer." He lifted a hand to my chin. "You smell..."

It was so sudden. The pain as I felt his teeth stick into the flesh of my neck. So much fucking pain, and no matter how hard I thrashed or pushed away, I couldn't get him off me. A scream was lodged in my throat but no matter how hard I tried, it wouldn't release. My magic was stirring and I was very ready to blast him into the next reality but it wouldn't listen to me. It stirred in panic but it refused my calling.

Ramsey kept drinking, lifting me slightly off the ground and forcing my legs around his waist. He pressed my back into a wall of books. A shuffling of fabric kicked up my fear ten-fold. I knew I wasn't wearing any underwear. Ali hadn't offered any and I hadn't asked. But it's not like it would have helped.

Vampires. I forgot that when they feed they...

I gasped as he forced himself inside. More pain. Unbearable pain. Unimaginable pain. Unbelievable pain.

This was wrong. Everything about this was wrong. My magic stopped stirring and stilled. I didn't reach for it. I stopped struggling, and stared up at the ceiling afraid to look. I was afraid of what this pain was. I didn't want to see it. I didn't want to be here.

I've participated in many stories but I had never felt this. Violated. It was horrid. It was painful. Everything hurt and nothing was resolving. And...Ramsey wasn't moving. That was my only reprieve but it wasn't enough to make me feel better. I don't know if I will ever be better after this.

Slowly, he retracted his fangs. "This is odd." He whispered. "You're dry. Painfully dry. Are you-"

He was cut off when I was yanked from his arms. For a second, there was only darkness and then I was landing into someone.

When the color return, all I could see was an empty aquamarine hallway. There was so much noise and the smell of seawater was so intense. It overwhelmed me, forcing me to shut my eyes. An involuntary shudder ran down my spine, and I felt my legs go limp. Someone was holding me up but I couldn't open my eyes.

"Trandafirul meu." I heard him whisper. "I got you. Fuck. That fucker bit you."

A hand moved for my torso to in between my legs. I gasped loudly, grabbing his arm and digging my nails into him. The moment he ripped his hand away, I shoved him, forcing my eyes open.
The only thing that was going through my mind was that I needed to get away.

My legs were weak so I started to crawl. I needed to get away from him. I need to get away from this story. I don't care if I get penalized or punished. I'm on the verge of breaking. Shattering. Imploding. I can't do this anymore. I won't do this anymore.

"Ciara." I froze. Instantly, my fear dissipated and my head swung to him. What met me brought shame.

His eyes. They were filled with so much pity. He wrapped his arms around me, squeezing me to him. This stupid shame. It was...overwhelming.
How could humans live like this? How could I let anyone see me like this? Especially him. For some odd reason, he worshipped me.
And here I was.
Broken and now used.