Chapter 4

I'm pretty sure I wasn't dead but I was definitely injured. My skin felt like it was soaking in acid and my limbs felt like they were wrapped in bricks.
I could hear someone speaking next to me but the words sounded like a jumbled mess.
There was also the distinct sound of clicking and grinding that was more prominent.
Like when our father stands up too fast, we can hear his knees pop and groan. Or once for Halloween, our parents had put out these decorations of skeletons that would hang above the banister of our front porch. Two of them were normal, silly dressed skeletons that were plastic and simply just hung there. One of them were made of a harder material and was wired to talk and move. It made a similar clicking noise but with more static and weird background noise.
Even so, it brought back some really funny memories. Like how every year, Cecily would dress up as a princess and I would dress as a witch. How we would run through the neighborhood playing our little game of catch the Princess.
I never minded chasing after Cecily. Especially since I always caught her.
When that game would get tiring, the little wheelbarrow that we had was rigged to look like a cage, so Cecily would perch herself in the cage and I would pull her around. I never minded pulling her around. It made it more fun when some random super hero or knight or whatever character would try to come and save her.
It was funny hearing Cecily cheering for me when she was the one they were trying to save.
I wonder...where is Cecily?
Where was I?
I started to open my eyes, at first, only seeing black with specks of twinkling lights. There was a faint glow coming from my right. Slowly, I started to turn my head to see a bedside table with a lit candle. It flickered against the darkness of the room, dancing in its little holder with slow grace.
This was a bedroom. I was in a bed that wasn't a hospital bed. If memory served me correct, I was thrown into the firepit.
"Ciara?"
I turned my head to the other side, meeting the green eyes of the Necromancer. Concern was etched into his face as he lifted a hand to push some hair out of my face.
"Ali." My voice was hoarse, and it honestly hurt to move my lips. How long had I been sleeping here?
"Welcome back to the land of the living." He smiled, propping himself up on his elbow.
That's when I realized he was laying in the bed with me. He was wearing a plain black t shirt but it couldn't see if he was wearing pants because he was under the covers with me.
It was awkward but I tried to smile back. "I feel dead."
He chuckled, his eyes scanning me. "You got burned pretty badly but we have a full medical wing here. I have been patching you up with a little help."
I don't know who "we" were but now I was on edge. Instead of depositing me in a hospital like a normal person, he brought me to what I believe was his home. And he was related to a Death Eater.
I need to go and find Cecily.
I began to sit up, tapping into my magical power to begin my healing process. Ali caught my shoulder but I shook him off as I threw the blankets off of me. I quickly swung my legs over the edge, having to catch myself so I wouldn't pitch myself forward onto the floor. I paused, closing my eyes to keep from vomiting. The world was spinning too fast for me to grasp.
"Ciara, please, wait."
"Cecily." I rasped out.
Finally, the spinning got the better of me. My stomach groaned and I heaved, emptying whatever was there onto the carpeted floor. Bile coated my tongue and lips. Hands pulled back my hair from my now damp face as tears silently rolled down my cheeks.

This was much grosser to do than see other humans do it. I've never vomited while "conscious".

"Cecily is fine." The Necromancer said, quietly. "She is in much better shape than you are. Please lay back down."

I contemplated his request, even though my human senses were telling to do otherwise.

He conjures the dead, The voice told me. Our story can't end well. Avoid him. Run for the door.

However, I could overwhelm him. I still had access to all of my magic and I could poof him out of existence in the blink of an eye. Though, something deep inside me told me to trust him. My magic buzzed at his touch, reached towards his in admiration. Never have I found my magic yearning for someone elses. Not be it but be close to it.

Slowly, I slid myself back into bed, looking up into Ali's forest green eyes as he stared down at me. He swept a hand over my cheek, brushing away a stray tear. "I promise on my life, Cecily is safe. We need to take care of you."

"Where am I?" The last thing I remember...

"This is my home."

Home. Not hospital. This was not the best case scenario. From a human mindset, if I was this badly hurt, I should have been taken to the hospital. From a Story Witch perspective... this is probably a mansion and there's definitely a chance he had medics on staff. Especially seeing how powerful they were.

I was finally beginning to remember. The creature that had attacked us. It was an Ember.

They haven't been seen in centuries. This was much more before my time but we were all taught about them. Every story witch is actually told to abandon their story if they were to come into contact with them.

Unfortunately for me, the only request with that this story was to be completed at all costs.

Embers were ancient beings that had an ungodly connection with The Void, a place of endless darkness. They one day came in droves after an insane wizard opened up The Void and allowed them to stream through. These creatures had insane intelligence for a drone-like species, and at least a few thousand were accompanied with a single Arch-Ember.

They always called the shots, directing normal Embers to do their bidding.

The bigger question: Who the fuck let them out?

The Void was sealed by the Mage Society, of course, accompanied by a Story Witch that was secretly hidden among the ranks. The only way they were to get out is if someone had let them.

This could seriously be the end of the world.

This could be the end of all universes itself because they wouldn't just stop at this one. No, they are pure darkness. Pure evil. Eradicators because their need to conquer and destroy is more pertinent, than their need to survive. And someone let them out.

"I know what this looks like." He pressed his palm against my cheek. "I didn't kidnap you. I promise."

His words were coated in honesty as his green eyes pleaded for me to understand. If he wasn't kidnapping me, then why was I here? And where was my sister? Tempering my magic, I stared directly at him. I couldn't show him my quick recovery so I'll continue to act like an injured human.

"Okay." I rasped out.

Ali smiled, running his hand through his hair. He laid his head back on the pillow next to me, his relaxed expression more comforting than the idea that I wasn't in the hospital. My body did ache in places that I didn't know could ache. However, if I did fall into a fire pit

I'm glad to hear that my sister is safe but I needed to know where she was.

"What happened?"

"That's difficult to answer." Ali responded. "It's going to sound pretty outrageous, so if you could bear with me, I would appreciate it."

"There was a creature that exploded." I said bluntly. "That looked like something from DND."

"Fair point." Ali huffed a sigh and began his explanation.

He described the Embers, explaining that they recently showed up within the last few months. How their only objective was to destroy the world and end all life. He even explained that yet again, another crazed mage was the one to open the gates to the void. With him, explaining all these things, I had to ask the question. One, only a human would ask. Even though, I knew the answer to it. But his answer... wasn't what I was expecting.