Chapter 13

Everything else was a blur.
I felt him pick me up, my magic once again reaching out towards his. I closed my eyes, resting my head against his chest. My magic latched on, and I was flooded with reassurance. He wanted to comfort me but now wasn't the time. If he didn't complete his mission, things would get worse for him. In turn, it would make it harder for me. He didn't want things harder for me.

I must have been fading in and out of consciousness. At one point, I could hear Cecily but it was always muffled. Loud bangs and booms echoed around me but the comfort of Ali's magic kept everything at bay. It was warm. And he held me like I mattered.

I was a story witch. Not once have I mattered to anyone. I spent so long convincing myself that I couldn't be the main character. Stuff like this doesn't happen to us, even as side characters. This was...terrible.

Atrocious.

However, right now, everything felt right. Being with Ali, made all the bad things better. Right here and right now, I'm done. The Elders were supposed to protect me with their books, keeping the Storyline free of imperfections while we swept the blips under the rug. I don't care if my  magic never responded to me again. I know that Ali would protect me and that's all that mattered.

"Wake up!" I was suddenly doused in freezing cold water.

My eyes shot open. Delirium overtook me and someone caught my arms as I started to fight. Once my eyes started to clear, I realized the person crouching in front of me was Cecily. At first, she looked frantic before her expression settled into something harder, more raw. I've never seen anything like it on her.

"Ciara, listen to me."

"O-Okay." I croaked out.

"Why?" Her voiced cracked but she kept that same hard expression. "Why did you do it?"

"What?"

I looked around her, seeing Ali being held down by the mage, werebear and werewolf. Off a bit further, I saw the vampire along with the Morghan. Ramsey held a guilty look on his face, but when his eyes met mine, something sinister lied there.

"You know what Ciara. Don't play dumb."

"Play..." This situation felt wrong. "I'm not..."

Morghan scoffed, rolling her eyes. "You tried to seduce Ramsey, and when you finally got what you wanted you panicked. Don't you know that any interruption in the harem can disrupt the balance of the world?"

"I'm not  understanding." I whispered. "I didn't-"

"Don't lie, Ciara!" Cecily screamed, dropping my arms.

"She's not." Ali spoke. "He forced himself on her."

"Ramsey would never!"

"But he did, Itsy."

"Ramsey is not like that." Cecily twisted her face into the meanest scowl. "You've done this our entire lives. Why can't you just leave it?!"

"What?"

"Asher. Johnny. Russell. Blake. Bruno." She stood up, scoffing. "You've been seducing the men around me for our entire lives. I finally have men that likes me and this is what you do?"

"I did no such thing." True, those men did turn their back on her but it wasn't my doing. I never pursued nor allowed pursuit of me. It was my job to keep her safe. She knew this.

Someone's feeding her lies. Manipulating her. They're trying to take me out of the picture. Why? No one knows what my purpose was. In this story, I was still a nobody.

"Ciara, like, why are you even here? None of this has anything to do with you."

"Why am I here?" This story is why I'm here. However, things have been going wrong constantly. I've never had a stronger urge to abandon a story like I do now. Currently, I'm moving in autopilot. This line of questioning and discussion was more than what I could do right now. He forced himself on me and yet, I'm defending myself. "I'm here because you begged me to go to a party with you and I got blown up."

"Okay, then go home." She said. "Go back to the home where our parents loved me more, while you continue to mean nothing. Where all the guys I had a chance with, liked you more despite you being a manipulative liar. Go back to that gloomy little hole you want to tuck yourself into because I'm sick of your shit and I'm sick of defending it when you clearly don't care about me or anyone. You are dead to me and I want you gone!"

It was like all the energy had drained from me. My fingers felt cold and my stomach churned so hard, that I thought the world had lurched. Tears streamed down my face as I stared at her in disbelief. I've done nothing but been there. Every step of the way. I told most of those boys off in front of her. I've defended her from mean girls. I even defended her against these men that treat her like crap. Still, all of this was my fault.

"Ray, please take her home."

"NO!"

My eyes drifted to Ali, but he was hazy. The air was darker around him, and it seemed everyone was giving him a wide berth. Suddenly, he was scooping me into his arms and we were gone. A blanket of darkness surrounded us, forcing me to close my eyes. When I reopened them, we were in his bedroom.

He put me down on the bed, that same black aura surrounding the room. The room shook, the floorboards hinging and unhinging as Ali's magic swirled around him. I clutched onto the sheets, kicking my legs as I pushed myself away from Ali. His back was turned to me but I could tell by the hunch in his shoulders and the way he was breathing...he was pissed. No longer was he planning on holding back.

The lights in the room flickered, the candle on the bedside table rolling to the floor. All I could hear was ripping and splintering of wood. It was so loud, I had to cover my ears. Might as well squeeze my eyes shut too because the darkness plus the sound. My human brain was sending fear signals through my entire body. This wasn't the induced fear that was bestowed upon me through Ali. No, this was real fear. Fear that I was feeling.

Story witches can worry. But fear...we always knew the story would stay aligned. We just patched the cracks. I've never felt this. Never experienced this.

I was terrified, for the first time in my life.