Chapter 7

This place was large. I was met with large windows that allowed fresh, uninterrupted sunlight into the long corridor that I had just stepped in. I looked left, and then right, not finding a soul in sight.

I let my magic seep out, feeling the subtle vibrations  of magical life, spreading through the many halls that made up this building. Actually, no. This place was a fucking castle! Rooms dotted carefully throughout the rest halls but this part of the castle was empty. There was obviously a lot of people here but none on this side.

I felt Ali behind me, his hands gripping my waist. He looked both ways, before taking off towards our right. I followed after him, not really sure what else to do. There were too many people here for me and my magic was still too groggy to differentiate.

I followed Ali, but we didn't make it far before he reached back and took my hand. He smiled, keeping forward towards who knows where.

I took in our surroundings, noting how significantly different it was from his bedroom. Bright, and nice decorum. Golds and reds and blues, everything shifting to look more grand and royal than the next. Finally, we approached a pair of large double doors, ornately designed. Red and gold spirals decorated around the edges, highlighting the royal blue texture of the solid doors.

Ali simply flicked his wrists, the doors swinging out towards another long hallway, this one clearly filled with significantly more people. However, everyone had appeared frozen the moment that the doors met their final position.

Ali pushed forward, ignoring the stares. These people...they were dressed like maids and butlers. Honestly, this felt like overkill but with how many were just in this single corridor. Their eyes widened as I passed them, the corridors speeding by faster as Ali began to pick up the pace.

Most of the staff appeared human but it seemed there were also some demihumans. Mostly humanoid creatures that had beast-like appearances. Some cat ears here and maybe dog ears there. Surprisingly, there was butler that had the upper body of a shark.

I tried to keep my eyes forward but I was so disturbed by the stares. I honestly wanted them to stop and judging by Ali's pace, I think he wanted the same thing. It wasn't until a burly butler stepped in front of Ali, making him stop in his tracks. I ran into the back of him, Ali's arm dropping my hand and holding me to his backside with a firm hand on my waist. From where I was standing, it seemed that Ali refused to make eye contact with this gentleman that had stopped us.

"Sir Necromancer," The butler grunted, crossing his arms. "Where are you coming from with the lady?"

Ali stayed silent, his hand gripping my waist a little tighter. Murmuring filled the hall around us. I could sense more of them were closing in on us. Not us. Just me. My instincts told me that Ali was not in the best situation.

"I was told you refused her and outright mocked her in front of the others." He proceeded. "Truthfully, I don't believe this is the lady at all. We all saw her in the atrium just moments ago. You're that desperate..." The man trailed off.

That ice cold sliver found it's way into the pit of my heart. Dread coursed through me, but my magic stirred with anticipation and excitement. My human body was paralyzed but my heart was racing. I could barely breathe as slimy tendrils slithering through my veins, caressing just under my skin. I wanted to scream but not in fear. No, my magic was purring and this fear...was causing exhilaration. My body was reacting the same as any human but my mind...it was enjoying this. I wasn't scared at all.

Actually, I was a little turned on.

The crowd that seemed to be inching forward was now inching backward. Shadows that were encroaching on us once, was receding bringing in light, though dread gripped me tight. It was like I was deadbolted to the fucking floor, an unmoving pillar, just like the one that was only  a few feet from me.

Suddenly, I was swept off my feet and Ali was moving fast. I don't know how long he walked for but when the dread finally left me, we were outside in what looked like a pavilion. Ali was quickly walking pass a large fountain with three dolphins as the centerpiece. All three were squirting water from the tip of their noses, basically squirting in three different directions. Small benches surrounded the fountain, the bottom bare of any coins or treasures.

I looked up at Ali, his jaw clenched and his eyebrows furrowed. Deep down inside my soul, I knew he was frustrated. This wasn't a new occurrence to him. Anguish. Desperation. Sadness. If he was one of the Master's charged with protecting the world, shouldn't people be showing him more respect? What was his story?

"Ali." I called, reaching up to cup a cheek in my hand.

He stopped in his tracks, looking down at me in shock. Our eyes locked, and it was right there, that I felt like I knew everything.

He was a Necromancer...one of the most despised sorcerers. Summoning the dead. Instilling fear. Freezing temperatures. Utter darkness. Pure paranoia. He was everyone's worst nightmare. His magic...his mana levels were on a whole other level. This terrified his "so called" companions. It even terrified his older brother. No...it disgusted him. He has the capacity to be a Lich, turn evil, and destroy all mortal life. Everyone would love to eliminate him before then but he was needed now. But, no one knew that deep down, he was terrified too. He didn't want to be evil. He didn't even want this power. He just wanted...someone.

He was hoping that I would change everything. The way I smiled at him. The way I gave him my time. No one wanted to, not even his parents. Such loneliness. He appreciated it more than I initially thought. No, he bathed in my attention, refusing to let it go like a toddler refusing to relinquish their favorite toy. He wanted more. More time. More touch. A connection. I had been the only one willing to give that to him. He desperately clung to that moment where I agreed to follow him to that back porch. The time I shared with him, going back and forth with stories, was the best night he's ever had. And here I was, trying to push him away.

However, I had a mission.

"That was...rough." I said with concern.

"I'm used to it." He breathed, turning so he could place his lips into the palm of my hand. Please don't be scared of me too.

That was...definitely his thoughts. It wasn't rare that Story Witch's gained new abilities with each story but a mind reader? Bizarre but maybe useful.
"You can put me down now." I said. "Don't worry. I will still hold your hand."
He chuckled, placing me down onto my feet. He didn't wait for me to extend out my hand. He took it, and in the same stride started off towards the end of the courtyard. I didn't even have time to admire the rose bushes before we slinked through a door, that led into a shorter corridor with another door.
I barely had time to take in my surroundings before I started to hear shouting.