Chapter Fifteen; Masticating

XV

"How have you been sleeping?"

"Fine, lately. Really, I have. I think I'm reaching a point in my life where theres room for peace and tranquility."

"Really?" Dr. Smith raises an eyebrow.

"Really, doc."

I watch the scribbling of her pen intently. I thought I might break into a manic episode right there. I'm not lying though, but sometimes I feel it'll never last, like telling the doc how I'm bettering my life will suddenly erase all of it.

She stops scribbling and my heart stops racing.

"Okay," She folds her hands together. "How are things in the love department?"

"Great. Vance is amazing." My tone is a bit off, and I curse at myself silently. I don't know what else to say other than that. Somehow Dr. Smith seems more threatening today.

Afterwards Vance picks me up outside. I guess this session was the most strangest than all the others, I feel extremely unsettled.

It began to rain on the way to my place, and the cold surrounds the car with a harrowing sense of emptiness. It's difficult to imagine the heat when it's vanished, and you're suddenly bound to gentle and still rain like tears. I watch the droplets fall to their demise, some of them stop and give a melodramatic pause, and then they fall away like all of the others. Vance has his hand on my thigh, his pinky rubbing the inner part of my leg. I smile at him. No words are spoken but we can feel each other like a sensitive wound. His energy is subtle, very lull. When he's like this it makes it hard for me to figure out if he's thinking about anything. I can't find any thought inside of him. He's left nothing for me to search for.

When Vance pulls up, it's hard not to notice the humongous hole on the side of the house where my room is. I quickly get out of the car, running up to the house and hurrying inside.

My step-brother, or the zombie in front of the tv with no movement in his body sits stiffly. So still it doesn't even look like he's breathing.

"Adrien?" I tap his shoulder, seeing that he is into the show on the television and that he hasn't even noticed Vance and I had arrived.

He looks at me and then up and down, silently judging my physique. "You're wet."

"It's raining." I sigh. "Why is my room obliterated?"

"Oh, right- dad ordered construction to make that side of the house bigger so we could install another room. My room. But," He continues. "It started raining and they left."

I blink and take another deep breath. "So where are we supposed to sleep?"

"Your mom is at the hospital, dad will probably stay there with her and you can go to your dads house."

"Well what about you?"

"Don't worry about it." He sips his very suspicious drink.

I turn to Vance. He figures we'll have to head there now and puts his shoes back on.

• • •