Chapter Seventeen; Snow

XVII

Vance's Narrative

"You'll start as soon as Sunday. Is that good for you?"

I nod solemnly, shaking my bosses hand firmly.

Afterwards I walk out of the place, nose in the air and pride feeling high. I can't begin to describe what I'm feeling because it's an emotion I haven't been able to endure in a very long time; happiness.

My life is finally beginning to feel comfortable, and at a pace where I can just relax. A balance. Y/N and I are doing great. I'd die for her. Hell, I'd kill for her. And I'm having a hard time trying to figure out if she means that much to me or if I mean that little to myself. But I love her more than anything in the world.

I know she isn't ready to settle though, because I know her, but she isn't so predictable either. I swear she gave me a heart attack when she sprang that skiing trip on me. She couldn't be serious, right? I hope she calmed down after I left. Perhaps she had a nice nutritious breakfast and took a nap or a shower. I can't imagine what she does when I'm not with her. I wish I could always be with her.

I pulled into the driveway of her fathers house and get out of the car, holding my new work uniform in my hands. I go inside, ignore Adrien in the kitchen and grab a bottle of water. He gives me a spiteful look, and then a sly smirk.

"What are you looking at?"

"Nothing." He replies.

Nothing is said after that. I go upstairs and her door is closed. I knock on it before I go inside.

"Y/N?" I say. "I'm back early."

I don't get an answer and assume she's asleep, so I come inside. Her room looks extremely clean; bed made, everything picked up. Swept, dusted, washed. It feels unnatural. It made me feel uncanny.

Then I looked around and realized that my girlfriend, soon to be fiancé, wasn't no where to be seen. I go over to the bathroom but no one is inside.

I go downstairs and Adrien is still lurking in the kitchen.

"Hey, you." I stand there, waiting for him to respond.

"Yeah?" He sits with his hands intertwined on the counter. The way he's doing that is pissing me off.

"Have you seen Y/N?"

"Yeah." He says again.

"Okay," I pause, waiting for him to drag out his answer. "And? Where is she?"

"She's your girlfriend. You should know."

I begin to lose my patience and almost march up to him and punch him dead.

"Quite fucking playing with me. Now, did you see her leave?"

Adrien gets up from his seat and approaches me. "Yeah, I seen her leave a while ago. All bundled up, had a suitcase. Then she climbed into a taxi and off she went."

"What? A suitcase?" I proceed toward Adrien. "You're lying."

"No, she left. Sorry, buddy. I mean, if you leave now you can catch up to her before she's skiing down a crazy hill."