13

"Because I like you"

I said it only thinking about Ethan told me. His voice ringing in my head. By now my heart was beating very fast. I think that even Ryan can hear it because I could. I could literally hear my heart beating loud and clear.

"Iris....i..." Ryan started "I really do like you but you know....Ethan"

I already didn't like where this was going. It feels like I am going to get brutally rejected but at the same time the conversation started with I like you so I had no reason to not like this but still I don't feel too good.

"Ethan....he likes you " he continued " And moreover you like-"

"I don't.... I let you misunderstand so that you will hang out with me" I denied it almost urgent.

"Iris just go home.... I think you are drunk"

"no I am not"

I was answering everything too quickly without giving it too much thought. And yes maybe I was a little drunk but not too much that I wont know what am I saying.

"Anyway I will drop you home"

"I want to walk"

Again an instant reply. I can't control this too much. And then I was out of his car and walking. Ryan didn't stop me. Did I want him to? Yes. I wanted him to do that because it would show that at least he cared for me slightly. But no!!

I walked for a while and then stopped at a convenience store. I went inside and bought a cup of ramen and two beer bottles. I just sat outside that store and started enjoying my so called dinner.

Ryan didn't like me from the start. I guess it was because I was not his type. I took a sip of my beer. But he started the whole conversation with saying that he liked me that means that he did like me. I took another sip. Then Ethan's face came to my mind, his smile and how his eyes shut when he smiles. I took another sip and now one bottle was completely finished.

Was it because of him? Maybe because Ryan said something like that didn't he., now I took another sip and a bite of my ramen.

Around half an hour later I had already finished four bottles of beer but my ramen laid still. I knew that I was totally wasted sitting with my head on the table.

"Iris" I recognize that voice. I looked up to confirm my suspicion and yes it was ethan. The reason why ryan did not like me. "Are you okay"

He tried moving towards me and keep a hand on my shoulder which I pushed back. He was looking at me all confused now. There were emotions in his eyes which my drunken state did not quite register let alone comprehend.

"Iris what is wrong"

You is wrong ethan. Why did you have to like me? I was furious, very furious and the pitiful look I was receiving was not helping.

"Why" I asked him. He looked at me confused. His eyebrows tied together. "Why" I asked again a little louder this time.

Tears had made their ways in my eyes and now had started falling too. He looked at me and again tried wiping my tears. I slapped his hand away and stood up trembling.

"Iris you are drunk" he finally concluded. I am so angry at people telling me that I am drunk. I know that I am but not too much to lose my consciousness, I am still thinking quite alright. More tears fall through my eyes because of all the emotions I felt.

"You...why...." Tears kept falling "ww.....why"

"What why iris....tell me please so that I can do something....i don't like this talk to me...hmm" Ethan said, now desperate. He softly held my shoulder trying to see my face. I cried even harder the moment I saw his face.

His eyebrows were tied together and he bought me closer and hugged me.

"Let's go home. We will talk later, when you are sober" he said and the moment he did I pushed him away.

"Why are you like that" I shouted at him, tears still falling .

"like what" he still spoke softly.

"I don't know.... Like this" I sniffled "why did you have to like me"

"I-....what" Ethan looked astonished.

Suddenly out of nowhere we heard a thunder and rain drops started falling down.

"Yes. Why? Ryan said he would've liked me if it wasn't for you" I shouted at him.

"i...i..." he looked down "let's go home right now and we will talk about this tomorrow morning"

He was still talking with his voice very soft and slow. I hated his soft voice now. I hated the fact that he liked me and this voice was confirming it. Why me out of all the girls like literally everyone. And why Ethan out of everyone.

"don't do that anymore" I said trying to control my tears. Ethan looked up at me, tears in his eyes were on the brink of falling down.

"don't like me anymore" I told him. Ethan looked down again and scoffed then he looked towards the road, a tear falling from his eyes.

"I hate you for doing that" I said again.

And that was it; another tear fell from his eyes. He didn't even say a single word throughout this whole thing, he just went inside the store got a umbrella and some other stuff. He kept the umbrella on the table and left. Realization of what I've done hit me hard. I just told Ethan to stop liking me and that I hate him for doing that. Thus has to be one of the cruelest thing someone can do. And also being drunk is no excuse for that. I felt guilty and stupid, but no amount of guilt can make up for the damage I had done. I think it would be best for me to go home. I went inside to pay for everything and the guy told me that Ethan had already paid for everything. I felt even guiltier.

I went home crying and went straight to my room thinking about how hurt Ethan must have been. If only this care had decided to arrive an hour ago so it could have protected a whole damage.

Authors note: comment how did you like Iris's behavior here.?