Future Star

2 days later, I was at the mall with my friends. I was in the middle of purchasing a new pair of shorts when I suddenly got an email saying that I got the part!

"NO WAY, NO WAY, NO WAY," I yelled, while grabbing the paper bag from the poor cashiers hand.

"What!? What happened?" Jenna asked. A concerned look had rolled over her face.

"I got the part!" I said, walking out of the store.

"You mean for The Summer I Turned Pretty?" Sam asked.

"Yes! Do you know what this means?" I questioned. I interrupted Sam and Jenna before they could even answer.

"This means I might actually become a successful actor."

"That's great, Y/N," Sam said.

Jenna gave me a big hug and added, "I'm so proud of you, Y/N."

As we were walking to the food court, a sudden thought blow over me. Should I tell Jack about this? I mean Belly is a huge role— she's the main character for crying out loud. After all, he did audition for the same TV series.

I took out my phone and went onto jacks contact.

I began typing...

"Hey Jack! I know it's been a couple of days, but I just thought I would let you know that—"

Delete.

Delete.

Delete.

This is silly.

I mean I can't just talk to him out of the blue. I need to start things up again.

...

"Hey jack!! How are you?! Been a couple days!"

To many exclamation points.

Delete

Delete

Delete

"Y/N?"

I quickly looked up, Sam and Jenna waving their hands in front of my eyes.

"Sorry, got distracted." I said, putting my phone away.

That night I kept trying to think about how I could start things up with jack. I looked around my room, hoping something would come to mind. My eyes hover over my dresser, and I suddenly remember the hoodie I forgot to give back to him. That's it! I'll tell him to come pick up his hoodie, and then from there, I'll tell him about the part!

I turned on my phone, creating a sudden light in my pitch black room.

"Hey Jack! I was wondering if tomorrow you wanted to swing by and pick up your hoodie? Let me know :)"

Send.

I set my phone on my bed side table and sigh in relief.

Ding

"That's him!" I yelled, grabbing my phone.

Oh.

Just an Instagram notification.

Why am I acting like this? He's a boy. Just a boy. A boy that happens to be my good friend. No strings attached.

My eyes started to feel heavy, and I began to drift off.