chapter 1

Safiya

There's those days where the sun is far and the sky is surrounded by grey clouds. Where it's thundering and pouring and all you want to do is lay in bed and read. Every reader's dream.

That's what I was doing right now. I gazed at the tear drops covering my window splattering slowly. In my hand was an old copy of Harry Potter: The Sorcerer's stone with a cozy blanket wrapped around me.

I often found peace in moment like these. When the world just suddenly slowed down and you can actually hear yourself think for once. It was beautiful.

A buzz from my phone snapped me out of my daze. I looked over and saw my brother, Sahar had texted me.

Saf, I'll be working late today. There's food in the fridge. Don't forget to eat! Love you sis.

-Sahar

My brother, Sahar, was not only my brother but one of my best friends. Both of us were so close. When I was younger, my parents passed away, leaving Sahar and I in the care of our grandmother. As we grew older, he eventually took custody of me and we both moved to Chicago. Sahar was a doctor at one of the top hospitals in the country. He's an absolute genius but never shows it. He's beyond humble and kind.

I'm a person who is very shy and struggles with anxiety. Sahar is one of my safe spaces. I'm beyond grateful.

I too aspire to be a doctor one day. It's been my dream ever since I was small. I don't see myself as anything else.

I'm currently in undergrad at the University of Chicago, studying biology. It's convenient because Sahar works at the hospital right across our school. Often times, I find myself walking across the street right after class and hanging out in his office.

I'm only a sophomore in college, however I'm advanced for my grade. I completed a ton of college classes prior to entering college, putting me at a junior standing.

Join me in navigating life :)

A/N hehe :) hope you guys like! Don't forget to vote & comment !