chapter 6

We made our way down the halls. He looked down at me. "You're very quiet" he told me.

That made my look up to him, and it was only now I realized how tall he was. He was at least a whole foot taller than me, almost the same height as my brother.

I nodded. "Yeah sorry." I told him shyly.

He shook his head "nothing to be sorry about, we just have to break you out of your shell." He said with a smile.

"Where are we going?" I asked him curiously. I finally chalked up the courage to talk to him.

"We're heading to my office. I need to grab my iPad and then we can go round on some patients."

I nodded.

We made it to a hallway lined with many doors. It looked like each department had their own set of offices.

He approached the last door and opened it. As we walked in, there was a big desk in the middle, along with a kitchenette on the side. The other side had a big comfy couch with a few throw pillows.

"Welcome to my humble abode." he joked as he made a beeline straight for his desk.

He grabbed his iPad and came over to me. "If I'm not home, I'm usually here."

"Let's go check on some patients." And I followed him out his office.

We made our way down the hall where a bunch of hospital rooms were lined up. In the middle was a nurses station with a few nurses sitting at the desks.

I followed Calum into a room. "Safiya, this is Mr. Rodriquez. He recently came in for pneumonia and is being hospitalized." He told me. There was a man in his 60's on the bed, with a huge smile on his face.

"And thanks to the best doctor, I'm getting better quickly." He told us.

"Mr. Rodriquez, this is Safiya, she's gonna be shadowing me today, is that alright?

He nodded. " Perfect, thank you. How are you feeling today, sir?" Calum asked him as he removed his stethoscope from around his next.

He nodded and Mr. Rodriquez went into a coughing fit. "Much better doc. Just need a bit more rest".

Calum took his stethoscope and listened to his heart and lungs. After a few minutes he gave a satisfying nod.

"You sound much better today! Your labs and vitals look great as well" He said with a smile. "A few more rounds of antibiotics and you should be on your way"

"Sounds great, thank you so much doc"

"Of course."

And we made our way out the room. Calum grabbed some hand sanitizer and then looked towards me.

"How did you feel about that?" He asked me intently as if he was trying to figure out what I was thinking.

I gave a small smile. "That was really cool." I told him.

"That's the beauty of being a doctor" he smiled back. He began walking to the nurses station. "I wanna make sure you're comfortable." He told me softly. "You seem really shy. I promise there's nothing to be worried about." He told me comfortingly.

I nodded. "Thank you" I said in a small voice.

"Of course"