chapter 9

I woke up ready to start the day. I don't know what it was but I was feeling extremely weak and dizzy. I was probably just low and needed some sugar.

Sahar and I made our way to the hospital. "Saf, you feeling okay?" He asked me concerned.

"Yeah, I'll be okay. I think I was just low for a second. Hopefully it kicks in soon". He nodded. "Keep and eye on it and if you feel sick, let me know." He told me.

"Always"

He led me to the conference room again and bud me a goodbye with a kiss on my forehead. The interns and residents soon started to filter in. Calum soon walked in and sat down as well. "Good morning everyone. Today I think I want all three of you on my service today. I think we can all benefit learning together".

I nodded. Although I wasn't too thrilled. These girls look like they don't like me very much.

The three of us made our way to a patient's room. Calum introduced us to the patient and explained his history.

Calum then started asking us different questions pertaining to the patient which ranged from "do you know what this disease is and how do you think we can solve it?" He didn't expect us to know the answer but rather use it as a teaching moment for us to be engaged.

While Arianna and Cara were start students answering all of his questions, I took a step back. I started to feel really weak again. Calum looked to me for an answer to a question he asked, but I was too out of it to answer.

"Whose a know it all now?" Arianna said with a sly smile.

I backed up and quickly made my way out of the room and to the nearest bathroom. I splashed some cold water on my face, hoping it would stabilize me. I then walked out and made my way to the lounge and gently rested my head against a table. My head was spinning.

I looked on my phone to my dexcom app and it said my sugar was within range. I don't understand why I'm feeling like this. I could call Rowan or Sahar, but chances are they were probably in surgery or busy. I didn't want to bother them.

I heard the door open and close quickly. I didn't bother looking up to see who it was. I felt a warm hand on my back."

"Safiya, are you okay?" a gentle voice asked me.

Calum.

I lifted my head up and slowly shook my head with tears in my eyes.

"N-no I don't know what's wrong with me." I said about to cry, panicking.

He looked very concerned. He guided me to one of the couches. "It's okay, we're gonna figure this out. Can you tell me what's not feeling right?" He asked me.

"I feel really dizzy and weak. I thought I was low, but my dexcom says I'm within range." I told him slowly.

He nodded. "It's okay, I'm gonna have you lay down for a second and drink some water" he said as he grabbed me a bottle.

"It's gonna be okay" he said calmly.