chapter 7

We saw about 6 more patients. Dr. Hood and I would go into each room and he'd tell me about their case. Then, he perform whatever exam needed and would give his opinion on their diagnosis. It was cool. We saw so many different patients from so many different backgrounds. I became his little shadow following him in and out of all the rooms.

It was lunch time and we were sitting in the lounge. Sahar had made me lunch, which consisted of a sandwich and a variety of snacks. On the whole, I wasn't a big eater. That was something that Sahar always worried about because I was a little bit underweight. I also was a type 1 diabetic, meaning my body didn't produce insulin, and I had to monitor my food intake. Between him an Rowan, they both always tried to make sure I ate.

Calum and I sat down together and quietly ate our lunch.

"So what do you think of the internship so far?" Calum asked me.

I looked up to him from my sandwich. I made sure to bolus before (A/N when you account for the number of carbs being ingested)

"I like it a lot. It was interesting meeting so many people and learning about their different diseases." I told him.

He smiled. "That's the beauty of medicine".

Soon, a few other residents walked in, as did Arianna and Kara. They all sat with us at the table and began to eat their lunches as well.

Calum focused to them. "So how away your first days so far?" He asked them, seeming interested.

"It was alright. We just went over patient charts and the residents taught us about different cases" Arianna said, unphased.

"That's good. We'll be rotating everyday so everyone can experience different things." He told them.

"That's promising." retorted Kara, seeming pleased she would get to experience something other than going through charts.

Soon, lunch was finished and it was time to go back to work. Everyone cleaned up their mess and headed out the door.

I followed Calum back to his office. "So tell me more about yourself" Calum asked me.

I looked up to him, still anxious. "I- I already told
you" I slightly laughed to him.

He nodded. "Mhm yeah the surface level shit you put on a get to know me application." he joked with a smile. "Just be yourself. I don't want you to be nervous."

That made me laugh. "Okay fine, I'm also a type 1 diabetic, I've wanted to be a physician since I was little, and I have a lot of anxiety." I told him softly. It wasn't easy admitting that or saying it out loud. However, if I was going to be working with him, he should know. Especially since he's a doctor and can sense it from a mile away.

"Thank you for sharing that. It takes a lot to." He said with a small smile. "When you're on my service, I will make sure to keep a close eye on you especially when you're experiencing highs and lows with your insulin and glucose levels." he said confidently but seriously.

"As for your anxiety, you aren't alone. I know it seems like it's the whole world versus you, but it's not. I get this is a new environment and a lot of new changes and people, but I promise you have the strength to overcome this. That and even though I'm an attending and I may seem
intimidating, I'm also a human too. I know we just met, but I'm here if you ever need me. I won't ever judge and I'll try to support you in the best way possible."

I looked to him with tears in my eyes. I didn't expect such a kind, heartfelt response to that. He didn't know how much those words comforted me. As someone who grew up feeling like I was always different, it was nice to feel somewhat accepted.

That was the kindest thing ever. I was nervous about feeling a certain way, but now I feel completely comfortable with him.

"You're stronger than you think kid"

I nodded. "Thank you "