chapter 11

Soon, I started to feel much better. I took a nap in Calum's office and woke up feeling much more refreshed.

I got up and made my way out his office to see if I could find Calum.

As I approached the nurses station, I could see him talking to another doctor. As soon as he saw me, he bid them goodbye and made his way straight to me.

"How are you feeling?" he asked me concerned.

"Much better. I'm not sure what caused it though." I told him.

"It could be that you were too stressed and anxious. Or it could be something else. I'm glad you're feeling better now though" he said with a smile. "If anything else happens, we can dig into it more".

"Thank you for checking up on me"

He rolled his eyes. "Duhh it's my job" and both of us started to laugh.

It was the end of the day, so everyone would be leaving soon. "Are your parents going to pick you up," he asked.

I shook my head. "My brother is actually a surgeon here, so I'll usually meet him and we walk home together." I replied.

He looked shocked. "Oh who is he?"

"Dr. Sahar Malik"

"Ohh I know him. I've seen him a few times as we did our rotations. Now that you mention it, you both look really similar." He said, a matter of factly.

I nodded. "Yeah"

"Well cool, I guess that means I'll see you tomorrow. Make sure to take it easy!" He told me softly, but firmly.

"I will"

He nodded and walked away. "Byeeee"

——————————————————————

It was dinner time and Sahar and I were at home sitting around the table. Rowan of course decided to join us last minute.

"How was your day today?" Sahar asked me.

I nodded. "It was good" I said, avoiding eye contact. Having an older brother was one thing, but having an older brother who was also a doctor was another. Sahar always worried about me ever since our parents left us. It didn't help that his medical background caused him to always think about a million different possibilities. When it came to my health, I usually told him on a need to know basis, which is why I was trying to avoid telling him about todays episode.

He nodded and looked down to his plate while eating. "Mhm, that's good. You know what's interesting is one of the nurses that I'm friends with told me she saw you on the couch? When she asked Dr. Hood he said something about you feeling weak and dizzy?" Sahar asked me, playing stupid. He immediately caught Rowan's attention.

Dammit. He knew and I didn't wanna get into this.

I sighed and nodded my head. "Yes that's true." I said defeated.

"Safiya" he said, his tone soft and gentle.

"Look I'm sorry. I was feeling super weak and dizzy and he made me rest. After I took a nap I felt fine again." I told him in one breath

"Saf, I promise I'm not upset or anything, but you have to tell me things like this peanut." He said so soft and gentle.

"I know, I'm sorry" I said and looked down.

"What we're your symptoms today, Saf?" Rowan asked me, leaving back on his chair with his arms crossed.

Both him and my brother can seem super intimidating when necessary, but when it came to me- I know they couldn't ever raise their voice.

"Nothing besides feeling super weak. I ate and bolused normally and my glucose levels were alright. It could just be because I was so worked up or anxious about everything." I told them both.

Rowan nodded his head, pleased with my answer. "That's true hun, but it's good to know these things incase something else happens so we can help you." He said protectively.

"I agree, especially since you're a Type 1 Diabetic, it's important to monitor these symptoms." Sahar stated, in agreement.

"Yeah I know, I'll tell you guys if it happens again." I told them.