chapter 22

Everyone got up and began to walk out with their assigned person. Soon, it was only me and Dr. Irwin sitting at the table. He was on his iPad, reading something.

I sat there uncomfortably, as I was waiting for him to say something. I was squirming in my seat, my body filled with anxiety.

He finally looked up and sat up from his chair. "Follow me" he said, and made a beeline for the door.

I did as I was told and walked a few steps behind him.

He began to walk fast, with a mission, down the corridor. I kept up with him, step by step.

He said nothing. Soon, we ended up at a hospital room.

He opened the door, and held it for me. His first olive branch. We walked in and we saw a patient lying in bed. She appeared to be in her 20's and had a tube down her throat.

"This is Kaylee." He said, not looking to me. "She's 29 and just had surgery to remove a tumor on her ovary" he continued, emotion absent from his voice.

"She's under heavy sedation still because her body reacted bad to the surgery. We're giving her time to recover" he said as he stood at the edge of her bed and looked to her.

I looked to her. She looked so young, yet she was experiencing this.  I looked to him. "Is she going to make a full recovery?" I asked him, apprehensively, afraid he might bite my head off any moment.

He looked to me and nodded. "With time, yes"

He straightened and made his way to the exit, not before stopping and grabbing some hand sanitizer. He opened the door, and again held it for me as we made our way out.

The next couple hours consisted of us doing the same thing. Visiting patients, him explaining their situation with no emotion, and continuing onto the next person.

We had taken a small break for lunch. In the lounge, we sat in each other's company, still silent as ever, and as soon as we were done, we got up and started again.

This time we went to the emergency room, as he got called for a consult. I followed him into the all to familiar emergency department where chaos ensured.

He made sure I was close to him as we made our way to his patient.

When we got there, he asked permission, and I stood there silently. It was an young woman who thought she was in labor, but it turned out to be Braxton Hick contractions instead.

As he stood there to console her and explain to her that her baby still has some time left to grow, I started to feel an immense amount of pain in my abdomen.

It was as if multiple knives were being stabbed into my stomach. My mind immediately went to the cysts.

Fuck. Not now.

I stood there as best as I can, trying to keep my composure. It was beyond painful.

I was counting the seconds we could go back upstairs and I can slip into the lounge to get a break.

As if god heard my prayers, Dr. Irwin was ready to leave.

We walked upstairs and my steps gradually became slower. I tried my best not to scrunch my face, but I failed.

We were walking through the halls when he stopped for a second and looked to me.

"What's wrong?" He asked me, his eyes shooting daggers through me.

I shook my head and tried to deflect as much as I could. "Ohh- it's nothing. I'm okay." I said with a small smile, hoping he'd buy it.

He sat up taller and crossed his arms. He nodded.

"Mhm, okay. Follow me" he said, as if nothing happened