chapter 18

I woke up in absolute pain.

As I sat up, tears filled my eyes. I clutched my stomach and bent over. My cramps were insane. I looked over and saw Rowan on the other half of the couch laying on his phone. He usually chills in Sahar's office after work so they can leave together.

He immediately sat up when he saw me.

"Saf, what's wrong?" He said in a concerned tone. He was still wearing his navy blue scrubs and stethoscope around his neck. He put his phone down and scooted over next to me. I immediately crawled in his lap and he held me
close to his chest.

"It-it hurts." I said in a wobbly voice. He brought my head closer to his shoulder and cradled me.

"What hurts, love?" He asked me, in a calm, soft tone. He was rubbing small circles on my back with one hand and holding me with the other.

"Mm-my stomach." I whimpered

Then, he went into doctor mode and started asking me a series of questions. "When did it start, how bad is it hurting, on a scale of 1 to 10 what's your pain level like?" he continued.

I shook my head. "No, I got my period. They're period cramps." I told him as I looked up to him.

"Peanut, cramps aren't supposed to hurt this bad." He said softly, as he continued to rub small circles on my back.

"Can I at least assess you and try to see where the pain is?" He asked me. I nodded on his shoulder.

He sat up with me and gently laid me down on the couch. He sat by my knees and gently looked to me before lifting up my shirt, just below my ribs.

"I'm gonna press around. Stop me if anything hurts, okay love?" He said gently.

I nodded.

He began to press all around my stomach. First, lightly, and then a little deeper. As he got to my lower stomach, I started to feel more pain. He could sense that when I started to cry and put my knees up in an attempt to stop him.

He sighed and gently put my shirt down.

"Good thing is that there aren't any signs of an appendicitis or any stomach infection. The bad thing is, cramps aren't supposed to be this severe. It could be something like a fibroid or a cyst, however it's hard to say without an ultrasound."

I shook my head and started to cry. "N-no, I don't want any ultrasound." I told him, sobbing. It's true. I was already in so much pain, and I was sure an ultrasound would add more pressure to my already sensitive stomach.

"Peanut, no I promise it won't hurt. After we talk to Sahar, I'll prescribe you some pain medication so the ultrasound will be tolerable. It's important to rule out anything serious" he said, holding my
hand.

I sighed but nodded. He was right. If something serious was going on, we had to make sure we caught it early.

"Don't worry peanut, we're gonna figure this out." He said as he gave me a tight hug.

I hope so.