chapter 15

I followed behind Sahar to the cardiology department. He looked very intimidating.

"Sahar, wait. I still have to work with him, and I don't want to make it worse." I told him, trying to calm him down.

"I don't give a fuck. You will not be mistreated here of all places, a hospital. Not to mention, your  diabetes isn't something that I mess with. You should be given ample breaks to check your sugar and whatnot. He's a doctor. He should know that as well." Sahar told me as we exited the elevator.

He made a beeline for Dr. Hemmings office and knocked on the door. "Come in".

Both of us walked in and saw Dr. Hemmings sitting at his desk, and Dr. Alex sitting in front of him in a seat.

"Have a seat you two" Dr. Hemmings told us both. I took the other seat in front of him, whike Sahar grabbed a chair from the side and sat next to me.

It felt like we were sitting in front of the principal for doing something wrong.

However, Alex sat back, as cool as a cucumber and crossed his leg on one of her knees. He placed his hands on his stomach, as if this wasn't a confrontation and he was waiting for a margarita.

"Hi Dr. Hemmings. I'm Sahar, from the gen surg department". He said politely to Luke.

"Yes, nice to meet you" he said and returned a polite handshake.

"So it's been brought to my attention that a problem has occurred". Sahar started. He looked to Alex, who had an annoyed look on his face, as if we were wasting his time.

"Would you like to explain?" he said in a "I dare you to mess with me" tone.

Suddenly Alex sat up straight. "Listen, this has nothing to do with you, only her. You can leave". He said confidently to Sahar, pointing a finger at his face.

And that's when u knew, he fucked up.

"Oh but it has everything to do with me. You see as Safiya's brother and guardian, I take pride in prioritizing her health. Especially since you know, she's diabetic." Sahar said.

Mic drop.

"She's overreacting, I gave her a juice and she was fine after". He said as he rolled his eyes, getting more and more upset.

"As a doctor, you clearly missed the part about preventable medicine and diseases. Had you given her that break or multiple breaks, she would've never gotten to that point where she felt completely dizzy and lightheaded. As a doctor, that is completely unacceptable." He said firmly.

He didn't say anything, but looked to Luke. "Dr. Hemmings, I don't want my sister with him anymore. I will not have her health compromised like this again. " Sahar said firmly.

"I understand. We will place her with someone else or she can come with me." He said solemnly.

"That's fine, thank you, I appreciate it."

Sahar turned to walk out, as I followed right behind him.

Before he did he stopped and turned around. "Oh and Hemings.."

"Don't let this happens again." He said strictly.