chapter 2

Safiya

I woke up this morning to grey skies again. It was thundering more than yesterday. Our apartment was on the 15th floor overlooking the city. It was beyond cloudy and foggy. Not that I was complaining though. I absolutely loved this weather.

I got up and got dressed. It was cold outside, so I wore leggings and a cute sweater. I threw on a pair of fuzzy socks and clipped my hair to the side. In the bathroom, I did a quick skincare routine and then grabbed my backpack and headed to the kitchen.

Of course, my brother was already awake. He had already made breakfast and was sitting on the couch catching up on a show.

He looked up from his phone. "Morning Saf, how did you sleep?" he asked me.

I smiled softly. "Good, how about you?"

"I slept like a baby last night. I worked a twelve hour shift yesterday and so much shit went wrong" he said disappointingly.

"I'm sorry to hear that." I told him solemnly.

He shook his head. "It's okay, todays a new day."

"Cmon, I'm about to head out, we can walk down together." He said as he put his coffee cup in the sink and grabbed his backpack. He went to the coat rack and grabbed his coat, handed me mine, and we made our way downstairs.

Both the hospital and school was about a 10 minute walk from the apartment. We'd usually walk together but given the weather, Sahar decided to take his car today. He dropped me off near the entrance of my university.

"Have a great day Saf" he told me with a small smile. I nodded. "You too".I replied back.

I headed to my lecture hall. It was the first day of a new class and I was so nervous. Being at university, I didn't really have much friends. I did my work and then went straight home. I only had a couple in my classes, and that was it.

It wasn't that I was antisocial, I was just more reserved in a sense. However, I want to get out of my comfort zone and make more friends.

I got to my class and sat in the 5th row. It was a public health class that I was interested in and was excited to see what I offered.

Soon, kids started to filter in slowly. There were still a few seats here and there open, but for the most part it was full.

"Good Morning class, I'm professor Brady. Welcome to Public Health Seminar. In this class, you will be learning about the different health disparities across the globe. This is a hands on class, so be prepared to get out your comfort zone." he told us with a smile.

He began to go over the syllabus. " This class requires you to complete an assignment outside campus. This could range anywhere from working at a nursing home to volunteering at a hospital. The point is to gain insight and experience in different healthcare fields and how it relates to public health." he explained slowly.

I'm not gonna lie, this sounds cool. I wouldn't mind learning outside of the classroom. It'll be a nice change.

However, my social anxiety doesn't agree though.

At the end of class, he said there was signups. I went down and signed up for the hospital volunteering.

I looked at the hospital, and it happened to be where my brother worked. This is perfect! I know the hospital like the back of my hand.

I noticed there were a ton of signups for the hospital, more than any of the other places.

This should be interesting. Hopefully I can meet some new people!

Soon class was over and I headed outside. I slowly made my way to the corner to cross the street. Since class finished early, I was planning to head to the hospital and just hangout in my brother's office.