chapter 13

After sitting there for another hour, it was lunch time. Thankfully dr. Asshole decided he was hungry as well and needed to eat too. He made his way to the resident's lounge, where we found a couple other attendings eating lunch with their residents and volunteers.

I quickly grabbed my lunch bag and sat down at an empty seat. I took out my diabetic bag and inserted a new needle into my pen needle. I then made sure to wipe off my finger with an alcohol wipe and and insert a test strip into the glucometer.

I pricked my finger and touched some of the blood too the rest strip. A little hourglass appeared, reading my blood sugar.

It read 74. This was still super low.

I quickly took out a juice and began to chug it. I needed my numbers to go up fast.

In 30 minutes I checked it again, and thankfully it went up to 100. Still a little low, but better than before.

I got up and put my lunchbox away, and tried to find Dr. Alex. I looked around the room and he was nowhere to be found.

Great.

I walked out the lounge to see if he could possibly be in the hallway or by the nurses station. He wasn't there.

I searched for about 20 minutes until I bumped into a tall blonde figure.

"Safiya". A voice called out to me. It sounded like a screamed authority. And it didn't sound too happy.

I looked up to the figure. "Dr. Hemmings" I said in a shaky voice.

He didn't seem too pleased. "What are you doing here and why aren't you with Dr. Alex?" He asked me as his arms were crossed over his chest, making him seem a bit more intimidating.

"I tried to find him, but he left after lunch." I told him politely. He didn't even tell me where he was going or how I can reach him." I continued.

He nodded his head, not believing me. "That's not what he told me. He said something about you being disrespectful to him and bothering him." Dr. Hemmings said, annoyed.

I- wtf.

"This is a serious place of work where people's lives are at stake. I don't tolerate this in my department." He said strictly.

"When was I ever disrespectful to him or bothered him? Oh you mean when I asked him to direct me to the cafeteria before I passed out?"  I told him, my anger suddenly taking over.

"You should've eaten breakfast then. Working in a hospital is a strenuous thing. I'm sorry we don't get 15 minute breaks" he retorted.

I scoffed. "I did eat breakfast. And I'm sorry I was born diabetic and needed to control my blood sugar" I sassed back.

Where this sudden confidence of mine came from - I don't know but I'm loving it.

He shook his head. "Shit I'm sorry, I didn't know you were diabetic." He said apologetic.

I nodded. "It's fine, but you should find out the whole story before pointing fingers. For the record, I've been nothing but polite and kind to Dr. Alex and he's shown me nothing but a look of disgust. I've tried to be kind to him and he just continues to get annoyed." I said calmly.

"Noted. I will have a talk with him. In the meantime, you can take a break while I figure this all out." He told me.

Phew