"A" Means without

Asexuality is neither a disorder or a symptom of a disorder (even if lack of libido can stem from medication side effects and more etc). Ultimately, lack of sexual desire/feeling as say, a medications side effect, does not define one as asexual because asexuality is a label someone can claim that they identify with in describing how they experience the world. That isn't to say one can't use it even so. Labels are primarily tools to be used to allow others to fit aspects of individuality into their own understandings and perspectives.  And even if someone finds they no longer identify the same, some may believe they were "wrong" that it is completely valid and okay! Sexuality is fluid and a spectrum-not concrete (especially ESPECIALLY for those who's brain's haven't fully developed or haven't had the opportunity to explore due to the environment they've grown up in). 

Unfortunately, much of the stigma that is still perpetuated today has roots in the way asexuality has been founded. It is no longer found in the DSM-5 (a book recording official disorders/diagnostics etc. considered by scientists). Luckily, that is not the reality of today. Present day, people do misunderstand in that they do not even acknowledge the existence of aromantic/asexual peoples because they cannot even fathom something out of their own pathways; out of all that they've known of their own bubble. This doesn't make them incapable of change and being able to grow-to see another's perspective and progress to acceptance. In fact, some are promptly curious to try and understand others unlike them. 

Due to society's sole representations of a heteronormativity, heavy sexualization, rape culture, and pressured romance; they've continued the stream lining of inaccurate beliefs towards sexual orientation and aromanticism & asexuality. 

Most believe that sex and romance are innate; like they are needed in order to survive and prosper.. when in fact, that is far away from the truth. Every person on this planet has their own unique set of experiences and deserve the right to have them be different and still recognized and acknowledged as valid just in the same. 

Although my experiences haven't made me feel this way, it is clear that society's labels still do more to encourage prejudiced beliefs from where they've been derived. "A" means without or not. While this on its own may have its own scientific definition or applicability to people, it simplifies human experience. And while I do not experience sexuality and romantic feelings or if I do in the same as the majority, *it does not mean I am in any way lacking.* 

I am not wrong for being who I am. I am not immoral or evil. I am not. I am proud of who I am. I have just as much ability to connect with others on my OWN terms. If anything, I'm helping out the world by not contributing to the issues of overpopulation currently. "A" means so much more than what I am not. And yet, it is simple in explaining what I am not as well. A is the first letter of the alphabet. #1. A is a single sound. A single letter (ironic haha). A means more than without. It can mean the onomatopoeia behind a sigh of confirmation /finally getting that last math problem right!/ It can be a startling realization. It means a word that connects the others to the next-single yet holding together many. It is the shout and a roar of one's voice finally being found. A means what you make it out to be. So remember, you are more than what you are not.