Mates?

A/N: I don't know why this man will forever give alpha vibes but he just does so here's my take. Or one of my takes on it anyway. For story purposes and because I wanna, some real Names will be used and some ring names will be used

"Mom, why are we doing this again?" l ask as we unfold another tablecloth.

"Because the alpha asked us to help."

"I don't even wanna go to this party. Not another one." I sighed.

"Cassidy ..."

"I know mom, I don't have a choice." I sighed again, this time in resignation.

"Don't think of it like that, this is a good thing, your brother is home." she said.

"And we haven't seen him since he arrived. It's gonna be the same as it was with dad." I said.

"No it won't, Austin promised." she insisted.

"Yeah right, as soon as Roman assumes the alpha position we won't see him."

"Won't see who?"

I turned around to look at a blonde who was eyeing me up and down. It wasn't adversarial, at least not to me, more measuring. She's not a complete stranger but she isn't known to me all that well.

This year's pack conference will be held on our territory, Black Lake Pack land. On top of that, the boys are back. The East Coast alphas got together to create a training camp, it's supposed to be voluntary but we are aware that some alpha's forced their wolves to go. Wolves from the age of 17 and up are allowed to go. Two of the alpha's sons, my brother the beta's son, and a few of our wolves have been there for the past 2 years. We're having a welcome back party for them and the others who are returning that are part of packs that came to the conference.

Personally, I'd prefer to stay in my room reading but after our father passed, mom has insisted that we all have to attend all pack events to represent him. Whether I want to or not so here I am helping decorate an event that I do not want to be at.

"Won't see my brother much once he's beta." I said, watching as her eyes lit up.

"You're beta Theory's daughter. I'm sorry about his passing." she said.

"And you are?" I asked.

"Amanda Ziggler, my friends call me Mandy." she smiled.

"Alpha Ziggler's daughter ... nice to meet you. I have to get back to decorating."

"I hear your wolves are back, my brother hasn't returned yet." she pouted.

"Yes, they're in a meeting." mom said, watching her.

"I can't wait to meet him, I hear he doesn't have a mate yet." she said.

Aah ... there's her big interest. She's one of the mate hunters. Normally, alpha's children tend to mate with each other. It's not something that has to happen or necessarily will happen. It is one of those flukes of nature. The moon goddess does what's best.

"He hasn't found his mate, maybe it'll be you." I smile.

"That would be perfect. I'll leave you to finish decorating, I have to get ready." she said before walking away.

"You know, I'm sure she's nice." I told my mother.

"She didn't even ask your name, mate huntress." she muttered.

I love seeing the sass in my mom come out, she tends to keep it hidden out of respect for her late husband. We finished decorating the big room and I have to admit, my mother is fucking talented. It's why decorating any and all events always fall to us and I am proud of it, of her.