Mates? Part 4

"Come in, son. Austin isn't here, he's out with your sister I'm sure." she smiled as I stepped by her.

"I'm not here for Austin." I said, waiting as she led me into a living room I basically lived in growing up.

"Ah, I don't know where my daughter is." she sighed softly.

"I am here for her but not at this moment." I clarified.

"Okay, tell me Roman Reigns, why are you here?" she asked, sitting opposite me in the chair her husband used to sit in.

The symbolism isn't lost on me. She's the one in charge here now, she makes the decisions in her house in her husband's absence. When he was alive too, if I'm being honest. I understand what she's trying to say without being disrespectful.

"I am here to apologize." I told her.

"I'm not the one you need to apologize to."

"Mrs. Theory, I didn't mean that she was a joke." I said, seeing that fire in her eyes.

"What exactly did you mean then?"

"The situation. I know what my mother's been through at my father's side and it was something I hoped not to go through." I admitted.

"Why wouldn't you want a mate?" she asked and I could see that the fire died, some of it, and curiosity took its place.

"War takes a toll on everyone but none more than the ones we leave at home. I saw the fear and worry of my mother growing up. The pure fear of all of the other wives. The uncertainty and the anxiety it causes. I didn't want to do that to anyone, didn't want to do that to a family. My mother has seen and heard more darkness than I could possibly ever know and I didn't want to do that to another." I sighed.

"You're not alpha yet and already you harbor such stress." she said, taking my hands in hers.

"When I was younger, I thought I wanted to be alpha. I used to play with Matt and pretend that I was alpha and he'd always tell me not to make any stories in my head. He's the oldest sibling and it was his right to be alpha. As I grew up, I saw the stress it put on my family and I knew I didn't want it. Matt was right, he could have it ... and then we lost him. I didn't want a family to burden. The joke was not only do I come back after two years away training for war and battle, but when I come back I find my mate. A woman who honestly, didn't pay me much attention at all. My best friend's sister, my sister's best friend."

"You young ones suffer from a severe lack of tact." she laughed. "It seems both of you broke the code."

"Yeah, lucky us." I sighed and it made her laugh again.

"Go, talk to her and hope it isn't too late. My daughter is a stubborn woman and ... oh no, not again." she muttered as alarms went off.

"You stay here." I told her.

"My children ... the pack children." she said as she got up.

"Mrs. Theory, Amanda, please, stay here. If I see anyone that shouldn't be out I'll send them here as well. Please, stay safe." I begged.

"Go, take care of our people." she said, kissing my forehead.

I ran out of her house, directing people towards the house before reaching the forest and shifting.

We need to find Kaysin - Nico told me

They're close

They are, she's fighting - he growled

Protecting the pack, it's Luna's responsibility

Find my mate - he angrily stated

There they are!