Mates - Part 5

"Hmm ..."

"Cassidy ... Cass ... mom!" I heard my brother shout.

"Shut up." I groaned.

"Cassie ..." I heard my mom mutter as she grabbed my hand.

I opened my eyes but it was so hard to do. It felt like I was dragging my eyelids through quicksand. Not a good feeling at all. As I take in my surroundings, I find myself confused. Very confused. More so by the fact that our soon-to-be alpha was asleep at the side of my bed, resting on my legs.

"What happened?" I asked.

"You don't remember?" mom asked.

"No, the last thing I remember ... I was with some of the kids and the alarms went off ... then nothing." I groaned as I tried to sit up. "What is he doing here?"

"He's been here for the past three days, I think this is the first time he gets any sleep." Austin said.

"What happened?" I asked.

Austin gave me the summarized version of events and I was pissed off but temporarily immobile. It's not like I can get up and move anyway. Not only am I in pain but I've got 200 plus pounds laying on my legs.

"Why is he here?" I asked.

"He's been here since you got here, hasn't left once. We had to reason with his wolf just to let us get near you to bring you in. Been worried about losing you before he has a chance to apologize and possibly have a future with his mate." my mother said. "He came to talk to me before the sirens went off. Give him a chance to speak. We're gonna go shower, get some food for you, and give you a chance to wake up. I love you."

"Love you both. Go get your mate." I told my brother.

"You get better and we'll be back soon." Austin said, kissing my forehead.

"Okay."

I sighed and laid back in bed, careful not to wake Roman. My brother said this was the first time Roman had slept since I landed here and he tried to protect me in battle. Now that I look at him, I can see scratches on his face, barely healed. He's tired, that much is clear. His hold on the blanket is tight, really tight, I'm surprised he hasn't woken up.

I don't want to wake him up, but Kaysin is yelling at me. Softly, I laid my hand on his head and combed my fingers through his loose hair. Thick hair, untangled, soft, I enjoyed it and clearly he did too. He groaned softly and turned his head, eyes opening softly as I continued playing with his hair.

"Cassidy ..." he muttered.

"Thank you for staying."

Just remaining like this, eyes on each other, is intense. Kaysin is enjoying it a lot, happy that we've willingly opened the bond and I can feel Nico's happiness through said bond.

"How do you feel?" he asked, getting up albeit reluctantly.

"In pain." I admitted.

"Want me to get the medic?"

"Not right now, it's fine." I sighed.

"Your mom and Austin were here." he said, sniffing the air.

"Yeah, they just left. Roman ..."

"Please ... I thought I was gonna lose you before I had a chance to have you because I'm an idiot. Cass, I'm so sorry for hurting you. It wasn't my intention, I swear." he stated and the sadness on his face is bothering me.

"I don't know what you want me to say." I sighed.

"Nothing right now, I just want you to know that I'm sorry. That if you're up to it, whenever you're feeling better, I'd like to take you to dinner. Just think about it." he said before grabbing my hand and kissing it before leaving to get the medic.