Chapter 2: Nice Slytherins

You make your way through the busy train hallway, following behind Draco and his 'friends'. You roll your eyes as they sneer at a couple first-years before taking a seat in ─ the now-empty ─ compartment.

Taking a book out of your bag, you lean against the window as you pull your knees up to your chin. Harry lent you the book before the summer break. It's a muggle book about four sisters and their adventures. You really like the character of Amy.

The three bullies are deep in conversation about whatnot when there's a knock on the door. Blaise Zabini and Theodore Nott stand in the opening; Theodore with a smirk and Blaise with his ever-so-bored expression. You gulp as Draco invites them to sit with you all.

Theodore takes place next to you. Blaise glares Goyle out of his seat and he lets himself drop into the now empty seat.

Over the summer, aunt Cissy had organised a ball with all the important pure-blood families. After the umpteenth time you were introduced to a boy ─ sometimes ten years older ─ you knew what this was about. In true pure-blood fashion, this ball was to find you a husband. And of course, the Nott's and Zabini's were invited.

Theodore's father is an avid supporter of your father and also a Death Eater, so it was rather obvious why he is a candidate. Mr Nott gave a deep bow to you when you were introduced and shoved his son forward.

"You might have met my son", muses the elder man, a hand on the back of his son. "He's in your house and year, after all."

With a fake smile, you hold out your hand for a shake but Theodore places a kiss on your knuckles. "It's a pleasure to finally meet you."

You've seen Theodore all the time. He's friends with Draco and hangs around him most of the time. But sometimes he's seen around with Lorenzo Berkshire and Blaise Zabini. You've heard he can be quite aggressive at times, so you decided to stay away from him as much as possible.

And Blaise Zabini. His mother is a beautiful witch — one you wish to look like when you reach her age. Though not part of the Sacred Twenty-Eight, it became clear after talking to Mrs Zabini why the Malfoy's had chosen them. Blood status means a lot to them.

It was quite clear from the beginning that your family favoured the Nott's over any other family. With the fact that Mr Nott is still a follower of your father, and that Theodore actually talked to you during the event. The choice was not that hard.

You stand in a hidden corner, munching on hors d'oeuvres that are passed around. You feel multiple pairs of eyes on you. The feeling makes you want to throw up, and you clutch the sides of your too-tight dress.

Placing your plate down on a table, you rush out of the banquet hall, needing air. Weaving through the many guests, it was only a matter of time before you bumped into someone.

The person clutches one of your shoulders and the other around your waist to steady you. You look up and see a worried look on Theodore's face. Shit. Why of all the people did you need to bump into him?

"Are you okay?", he asks, a worried tone laced in his voice.

You reach up to push his hand off your shoulder. "Just peachy."

"Would you look at that?" A cheery voice makes the both of you turn around. Mr Nott looks at both of you with greedy eyes. Theodore's hold around your waist tightens protectively.

"Wouldn't the two of them make the perfect pure-blood children? Don't you agree, Lucius?"

A shiver runs down your spine at the memory. You snap the book shut and stand up abruptly, making everybody look at you. "I have to... return something."