Chapter 38: The day I lost you

"Well, well. What brings you here, Potter?"

You whip around. Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle stand with their wands pointed at the two of you.

Harry moves in front of you, handing you the diadem. "I could ask you the same."

"You have something of mine. I'd like it back." His eyes flicker towards the wand in Harry's hand. Oh... your cousin lost his wand to Harry? How interesting.

"Draco", you say cautiously, drawing the attention towards you. "Stop, please. Think for a moment. Is this really what you want? Or is this Uncle Lucious' ideas of the world?"

The blond's wand lowers for a moment before he renews his stance. "I have to... You know I have to." Sorrow fills his face briefly before it's gone and replaced with an angry sneer pointed at Harry.

"Come on, Draco", whispers Goyle, egging your cousin on. "Don't be a prat. Do him."

Draco seems to hesitate for a moment. His eyes flickered between Harry and you.

Suddenly, a spell gets cast from behind you and disarms Draco. You gasp, whipping around. Hermione and Ron are absolutely soaked and Hermione has a triumphant look on her face.

Goyle fires the killing curse at her and Hermione manages to deflect it. The three Slytherin boys run off with Ron in pursuit.

The diadem has managed to fly out of Harry's hands and landed on top of a pile of old furniture. The three of you climb and struggle against the tables and chairs and even a pair of cough cushions before Harry manages to finally grab the diadem.

Once back on the ground, you have not even a minute to collect yourself before Run comes running back, screaming something. "Goyle's set the bloody place on fire!", he yells out as he passes you, grabbing Hermione's hand and sprinting away.

A gigantic snake made of fire comes slithering around the corned and opens its beak. "Oh shit!", you yell and follow after Hermione and Ron.

The heat is scorching as flames fill the chamber. You conjure a wall of water but it boils almost immediately. Harry pulls you away before a fire dragon bakes you like a cake.

In the scuffle, the four of you have worked yourself to a dead end, fire on three sides and a wall of trunks on the other. You look around and spot a couple of brooms. You sigh deeply, knowing what needs to be done.

"Here!", you throw the brooms towards the others and you push yourself off. Don't look down. Don't look down. Don't look down.

"Come on! This way!" Ron points towards the exit, but your eyes catch something.

It's Daco! He has started to climb up a tower to escape the flames, but it's catching up to him. "Draco!", you yell, catching the attention of the blond. You steer your broom towards him and hold out your hand, ignoring the protest of the others.

The first time you miss, a panicked cry escapes you. The second time it's a success and you let Draco take the reigns of the broom.

You escape just barely thanks to Hermione and you come to a screeching halt outside of the chamber. Rolling over the ground, you manage to snatch Draco's leg and pull him towards you.

"You prick! You daft idiot! You bloody nitwit! You-!" A feeling like being stabbed before heat burning your insides makes you stop your assault. You crumple to the ground, gasping for air.

Something weird is happening. It's cold. So so cold. Doesn't matter that you've just escaped the fire pits of hell. You're freezing and Draco's hands scorch your skin.

He looks over you in concern, the same look in his eyes he had in the toilets last year. "What's happening?! Do something?!", he yells out to the Golden Trio.

The conversation that they have is muffled as you focus on your cousin. "Go", you whisper, clutching his arm. "Flee. Now is your chance."

Draco nods and starts sprinting away. Ron wants to chase him but your hand on his wrist stops him. You've managed to get yourself in a sitting position, resting against a wall. "Please."

Ron hesitates for a moment but stands down eventually. He goes to Hermione and wraps a comforting arm around her shoulders.

"What's the plan next?", you ask, dusting off your pants. You're still unsteady on your feet but you need to continue.

"The snake", is all Harry says and you nod. Because you know. You've always felt her, deep down. The way she acted around you, all points towards her being a Horrcrux.

You nod and follow after them. They need every help they can get.

You're shooting spells left and right, disarming Death Eaters and pulling students out of danger's way. Sometimes a Death Eater recognises you. Some hesitate to attack you, others use unforgivables without a second thought. You make sure those get sent right back to their sender.

Eyes scanning across the stairway to check if it's safe, something catches your eye. Or rather... someone. Dark curls stick to a sweaty and bloody forehead as he is struck down by a Death Eater.

You can't stop yourself and call out his name. "THEODORE!" You raise your wand and with a powerful blast, the wizard that towered over him is disintegrated to dust.

Ignoring the calls for your name, you rush towards Theo and grab his face. Tears fill your eyes as you brush off the Death Eater dust, the rough texture of an outgrown stubble a new but welcome feeling. A laugh escapes you at the big, dumbfounded look he gives you.

With a trembling hand, he traces calloused fingertips over your lips. He seems mesmerised, not believing that it's really you. "You're just as beautiful as the day I lost you."

A sob escapes you before crashing your lips against his. Theo lets out a 'hmmpf!' before closing his eyes, a hand holding the back of your neck. Your hand travels from his chest to his face, cradling it and keeping him close.

For a moment, the two of you forget the war raging around you and just kiss like your life depends on it. It's only you and him back at the summer home. A low hum escapes you, and you feel Theo smile against your lips.

A spell exploding next to your faces makes the two of you jump up and you fling a spell at the caster. You look back down to Theodore. His eyes are wide and his lips parted. Unconsciously you bite your bottom lip as you help him off the ground.

For a moment the two of you stare at each other before you snap out of it and begin to fight back to back. Your hands are clasped together as you pull each other out of harm's way.

As Theo pushes you to hide behind a pillar, something weird happens. The fighting stops.

The Dark Lord's voice echoes through your head and you clutch on tightly to Theo. "You have fought valiantly... but in vain, I do not wish this. Every drop of magical blood spilled is a terrible waste. I therefore command my forces to retreat. In their absence, dispose of your dead with dignity."

Theo clutches his head in pain as the speaking finally stops. Around you, Death Eaters disappear in clouds of black. The castle is destroyed and bodies litter the hallways.

"Are you okay? Nothing hurts?", you ask quickly, grabbing Theo's head in yours and wiping away dust. He gives you a small smile while holding your hands.

Looking around, you swallow thickly. "Let's... let's go to the Great Hall." Theo helps you over debris and down the stairs, his hands never leaving yours.

Once you've passed the threshold, your eyes scan around. Looking for familiar faces. Dead or alive. You see many classmates luckily alive. But also a few that haven't gotten so lucky. Swallowing thickly, you watch as Professor Trewlany covers Lavender Brown's lifeless body with a thick blanket.

A call of your and Theo's names pulls you away and Sirius comes limping towards the both of you. Letting out a relieved sigh, you rush towards the man and hug him.

"Oh praise Merlin. Glad you're alive. Both of you." Sirius holds you close while he clasps Theo's shoulder. "Good to see you, son."

"Likewise, sir", nods Theo.

For a moment, even if it's just brief, almost all the people you care about are safe with you. If you only knew where Draco ran off to...