Chapter 12: Innocent defiance

You're standing in the alley between Oliviander's and Magical Menagerie. Just like you and Theo agreed to meet up in your letters.

You're glad to get out of the manor. All sorts of strange figures started to visit Malfoy Manor, paying their respects to the Dark Lord. Because of that, you don't really leave your room. Only when you're sure that nobody is there to gawk at you, you make a move for the gardens ─ if it is good weather at least ─ or towards the muggle town a couple of miles away.

The library, what once was your safe space, is being occupied by Voldemort and his followers. They conduct their super secretive meetings there, the door charmed with muffliato.

You've been called in once after Mister Nott has come and gone, giving you a slight bow. You had to give all the letters you've received from Theo and had to account for your replies. It was a wonder you've gotten the okay to go hang out with Theo... with no chaperone.

But you see the hooded figure stationed at the end of the street and you know he is sent by your father.

After waiting not more than ten minutes, Theodore appears with a big smile. You straighten your back and bounce over to him. Hugging him, you whisper into his ear, "I'm being monitored."

You feel his hold on you tighten before he lets you go. He makes sure his back is turned towards the figure. "I've spotted him. We just have to make sure to lose him then."

Theodore grabs your hand and pulls you along. You weave through the crowd, acting casual and holding hands to make sure you don't lose each other.

"Do you still see him?"

You stop at a stall and subtly look over your shoulder. "I don't spot him, but who knows where he is."

The brown-haired boy hums, his eyes darting around. "I know how we are going to get rid of him." he sends you a smile and waits for you to smile back in confirmation.

This time, you're the one who grabs his hand and you let him lead you towards an alley almost at the end of Diagon Alley. He lets you enter a small alcove first before he grabs his wand and taps a half-dying flower bush.

"The Leaky Cauldron is not the only entrance and exit. There are secret passages all over London."

Theodore lets you pass through the passage first and makes sure he closes it behind him.

"Where are we?", you ask as you look around. You've appeared from behind a tree in a courtyard.

As he grabs your hand again and tugs you towards the exit, Theo looks down at you with a small smile. "It's an unofficial passageway in and out of Diagon Alley. It's a little further away than where I want to take you, but that's no problem."

A smile of your own grows on your face. "And where will you take me?"

"That's a surprise.

He leads you down an escalator and onto a metro platform. You've been holding each other's hands the whole time. Only when you're entering the train cart, you let go to take hold of the pole. Theo stands facing you and he wraps his hand around the pole, just a little above yours. His pinky barely touches your pointer.

You feel your cheeks head up and you study the people around you. Muggles from all walks of life take the metro. They're quite fascinating, to be honest. If it was up to you, you could spend all day roaming around the metro system of London. Hoping on and off trains, listening to conversations around you. The cute puppies also bring a smile to your face.

A sudden turn in the train tracks makes you lose your balance, but Theo is quick to grab your middle and steady you. You blink and look up.

It seems like time has slowed down. Theodore's dark hair curls slightly at the nape of his neck. His lashes graze his cheeks when he blinks. The way he wets his bottom lip as he watches you, both of your faces close together.