Chapter 19: The Department of Mysteries

"Can you see them?", you ask in a whisper as Theo and you watch how the DA flies away on the Thestrals. He shakes his head, finding the sight of his schoolmates flying away on thin air very fun to see.

You grab his hand and make your way towards one of the leathery beasts. Theo unsurely lets you place his hand on nothing and gasps as he feels something. It's... weird. Almost hairy.

"Do you feel it?", you whisper again, eyes flickering from the brown-haired boy towards the Thestral.

He nods wordlessly. He reaches out his other hand, an amazed smile on his face. "It's wonderful." He looks at you in amazement. But his smile soon drops as he remembers that you can see them. "I'm sorry..."

You shake your head and turn your head towards the edge of the forest. "Don't worry. Let's warn Dumbledore that the DA is on its way to the Ministry. Maybe he can notify the Order of what Harry has seen."

Theo nods and the both of you hurry out of the forest. But before you set foot on school grounds, the hair on the back of your neck stands up straight.

Stopping, you turn around and peer around the dark of the forest. Something... calls you in. It's like someone or something is calling your name.

"Do you hear that?", you ask, turning towards Theo. But the boy look around confused, only hearing wood noises.

Suddenly, a dark smoke cloud comes barreling towards you and you scream. Theo grabs your hand and the both of you start to run towards the castle. You strip over a tree branch and your hand slips from Theo. A yell leaves your lips as you feel something grab you and lift you up from the ground.

You vaguely hear Theo call out your name in panic before the world completely goes up in smoke and chaos. It feels like you're travelling a million miles per hour, swirling through the air like a tornado.

When you're finally dropped you crawl away, trying to keep your dinner inside. It's almost as bad as apparating. You flip around and shuffle away from the figure until your back hits a wall.

The figure disappears like it's called and you're left alone in the room. It's round with black tiles and a giant arch in the middle of it all, some sort of weird white thing floats in the arch. Faint whispers are seeming to come from it, but you can't understand what they are saying.

Just as you stand up to approach the arch, you hear something woosh through the air before five figures drop out of nowhere. You quickly hide behind a stone and try to make yourself as small as possible. You search your pockets and let out a silent breath of relief as your wand is still in your pocket.

The five turn out to be the DA, all looking bloodied and bruised up. Harry and Luna can hear the voices, just like you. The same people who can see Thestrals. Has it to do with seeing Death, maybe?

There is banning coming from somewhere and the five quickly draw their wands. But it is no use as the same smoke that kidnapped you start to attack them. They yelp and struggle and when the smoke disappears, it's only Harry laying on the ground, clutching some ball.

The other DA members are all held by Death Eaters. You spot Mr Nott and your mo... Bellatrix Lestrange. She holds her wand painfully against Neville's neck and looks like she is playing with her prey. Hermione is closest to you, her hair tightly in the grip of a man you've seen a few times over the summer and at the Christmas party. She whimpers.

Uncle Lucius appears out of the darkness, his cane clicking on the ground. "Did you actually believe? Were you truly naive enough to think, that children stood a chance against us?" He holds out his hand towards Harry. "I'll make this simple... for you, Potter. Give me the prophecy, now. Or watch your friends die."