Chapter 13: An eventful summer

You trail after Draco and your aunt as they make their way over to the train. You have no desire to speak, especially to your aunt. Not after she stood by and said nothing.

"I suppose I can't stay at school during the winter break?", you ask as Aunt Cissy makes sure that not a hair on Draco's head is out of place.

You turn your head away as your aunt tries to hug you. A look of hurt flashes on her face before she smiles sadly. "I'm afraid not, honey."

With nothing else left to say, you board the train. As you make your way towards where you usually sit with Draco's friends, you stop. Before you can discreetly turn around and spend the rest of the trip alone your eyes meet those of Theodore.

He straitens up in his seat, even raises to his feet. His eyes are almost hopeful and his lips parted. Practically begging you to come to sit next to him. Begging you to talk to him.

You haven't answered a single letter Theodore had sent you after that dreadful day. Because you realised that now you bear that mark, you aren't safe for him. Voldemort must know that Theodore means something to you. Merlin knows he can dangle Theodore's life before you if you don't do what he says.

And that can't happen.

So, you've decided to cut all contact with Theodore. And as torture, you've kept all letters. Even the single letter he sent to Draco, asking him to talk to you. To make you talk to him. You've made Draco lie and say that you've received no letters.

Those letters have kept you sane in a house filled with Death Eaters. And you've brought them with you. You feel them in the inside pocket of your jacket. And they weigh you down.

Averting your eyes, you turn around and hurry towards the other end of the train. You don't hear your name being called or feel him follow you. Good. Great even.

You pass a closed compartment, but its door slides quickly open and your name is being called. Hermione stands in the opening, a genuine smile on her face as she invites you in.

She makes Ron sit next to Harry so you can sit next to the window. That way there is no easy escape for you.

"How was your summer?" You're quick to ask the question, so you don't have to answer it yourself.

The trio give each other looks. "Eventful", says Harry eventually. You raise your eyebrows and Harry tells you about how he was attacked by Dementors, how he was expelled for using the pratonus charm, and the hearing at the Ministry.

You shake your head. "In the name of Slytherin's monster. Is your cousin okay?"

Harry shrugs. "Dunno. I left for Grimmault Place quickly thereafter."

Leaning back in your seat, you notice how hot it is on the train. Sliding off your jacket, the letters slip out of the inside pocket and spill all over the floor.

"Shit", you mutter and crouch down to grab them.

Hermione goes to help you but gasps as soon as she sees the bandage on your left arm. You quickly pull down your sleeve — which has ridden up with picking up the letters.

"What happened to you?!" She wants to reach out, but you pull your arm towards your chest.

You can't say what truly happened. That would mean your death. You're sure Harry would strangle you with his bare hands. "I tried to bake last week but I burned my arm on the doors of the oven. It's pretty nasty."

Ron raises his eyebrows sceptically. "Why didn't you get a healer to fix it?"

Shit. Right. "I'm not actually allowed into the kitchen at home..." Good safe.