Chapter 5: The first task

As it turns out, the first task is getting a golden egg from a dragon. Harry told you that Hermione told him that someone told Ron that Hagrid was looking for him because he wanted to show the dragons.

Ron's not speaking to him after the whole school thinks he put his name in the Goblet of Fire. You honestly don't understand why someone would put their name in seeing this.

Krum's running around the stone ring, trying to knock out the dragon with a spell. The Slytherins and Durmstrang boys cheer him on. Draco and his goons wave a banner with Krum's name.

You sigh and look bored around. You feel a tap on your shoulder and see Gjol, Sigge, and Bjarne. Sigge and Bjarne wave while Gjol smiles brightly.

"Exciting, isn't it?" He grins, leaning close so you can hear him above the crowd chanting and the dragon roaring down below.

You give him a small smile that doesn't seem to convince him. He raises his brows and you sigh. "I- just... I can't help but be sorry for those dragons."

This earns a full-on belly laugh from Gjol. "You do not act like the others, do you?"

"How so?", you ask with a smile ─ genuine this time ─ cocking your head to the side in curiosity.

Gjol turns his body towards you, a flirty grin on his face. "Well... You are very considerate of others, even animals. I've seen you always let others go first."

"So, you've been watching me? Bit stalker-ish, innit?" You bite the inside of your bottom lip and look up at him. Gjol's cheeks tint a dusty pink, running a hand through his hair.

"Krum's great, right?" Theodore appears out of nothing with a big but fake smile.

You take a step back from Gjol, not even realising you two have crept close. Gjol seems just as annoyed as he glares at Theodore.

Your attention gets called towards the pitch as the last champion gets called. Harry. You nervously chew the inside of your cheek as you watch him stumble into the ring, an unsure look on his face.

Suddenly, the dragon appears and blows its fire at Harry. He ducks just in time behind a rock before he gets scorched.

Before you can stop yourself, you yell out. "Your wand, Harry! Use your wand!"

He seems to hear you and summons his broomstick, flying away from the dragon. The dragon starts to take off, but the chain holds it back. With a tug, it snaps and the scaley beast takes off after Harry.

Theodore turns towards you with raised eyebrows. "Since when do you call Potter by his first name?"

You cringe both at Theodore's question and the loud roar that comes from the direction of the castle. "I... We're not..." You look in the direction where Harry flew off to, trying to spot him.

After a couple of minutes, the crowd erupts in cheer as Harry flies back on his ─ slightly fried ─ broom. Harry holds up the golden egg with a proud smile.

The cheering and partying for all the contestants continue in the common rooms. The Beauxbatons with the Ravenclaws and the Durmstrang students in the Slytherin dungeons. The Hufflepuff have their own party.

You watch with an amused smile as a handful of girls and boys fawn over Krum while another group tries to butter him up. Your cousin is one of the last ones, not sure if the looks he gives Krum are hundred per cent platonic. He is batting his lashes up at him. It's quite the spectacle.

A sigh leaves your lips as Blaize hoovers around you. At least he's keeping Theodore at bay. He's over at the other side sulking while Millicent babbles to him, not caring if he listens or not.

The second Blaize is distracted by Pansy, you slip out of the common room and sneak towards the astronomy tower, breathing in the crisp November air.

A cold breeze rustles the last remaining leaves on the Whomping Willow. The clouds are thick and illuminate this weird glow. Typical for snow clouds.

You hear the creaking of the stairs behind you and you sigh. Who's next to bother you? Theodore? Draco?

"Harry? What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be celebrating with your house?"

Harry shrugs and comes to stand next to you, his back against the railing. "It got a bit too much, you know?"

You lean with your forearms on the railing and nod understandingly.

"Taking a break from Nott?", he asks after a while.

"You noticed?" You chuckle and shake your head. "It's stupid, believe me."

He slides closer, your arms touching. "Have they made it official yet?"

You shake your head, eyes fixed on the stars as you choose not to answer his question verbally. It feels way too legit if you answer that question.

"Will you be okay if once it will be?"

The question makes you look at him. Really look at him. His hair is wild, pointing in every direction, and his green eyes dart from your face to anywhere else. Harry's cheeks are rosy, but that could be from the cold.

"I just... want to be left alone. All these stupid rules and must-dos make me sick! Once I graduate, I am leaving. Gone."

Harry looks at you with big eyes, his mouth slightly agape. You huff out harshly and rub a hand over your face. "Sorry", you mutter, "I don't know where that came from..."

"Where would you go?"

Gaze set on the stars, you think for a moment. "Probably North America. I heard the wizarding community is pretty okay there. Or like France or something. And you?" You turn your head to the side, resting your head in the palm of your hand.

"I... I haven't really thought about it. Probably a professional quidditch player. They make okay money, right?"

You shrug. "I don't really understand quidditch, but probably just as good as muggle football players I would guess."

Harry looks at you weirdly, surprised that you know something about muggles.

You push yourself off the railing, a faint smile on your lips. "I'm not that oblivious to muggle culture, Potter. Congrats on first place, by the way", you say before walking down the stairs.