Chapter 7: 12 Grimmault Place

Come to the alley behind the Three Broomsticks

─ S.B.

This is the last letter you received from Sirius before the Christmas break. You knew that he couldn't just pick you up from King's Cross Station, with his status as an escapee from Azkaban. Harry gave you a brief one-over about the situation with Sirius, Harry's parents, and a man called Wormtail.

So, that's why you stand behind said pub, snow up to your ankles. A popping sound not far from you is head and you turn your head.

"Professor Lupin?", you ask surprised, seeing your previous DADA teacher appear from nowhere.

He smiles softly, putting his hands in his coat pocket, "Just Remus is alright. Or Lupin. I'm no longer your teacher."

You nod, grabbing your suitcase and turn your body fully towards the man. "I assume you're the one who brings me to Sirius?"

Lupin shushes you, looking around for any onlookers. You snap your mouth shut. Lupin holds his arm out for you to take, and you do it unsurely. There is a pull on your navel and gone you are.

Not a moment later, you appear on a doorstep. As you stumble forwards, unsteady on your feet. The door swings open and you fall inside. A yelp escapes your lips and a groan once you land on your face.

Two pairs of arms help you up and steady you on your feet. Embarrassed, you wipe your hair out of your face and look at Sirius.

You've never actually met him, only read his scratchy handwriting. He is pale with his cheeks and eyes slightly sunken into and dark hair that's well trimmed. His suit is big on him and tattoos peak from under his dress shirt. He's exactly like Harry described him.

But you also see the resemblance between you and him. It's in the eyes. You both have the same eyes and look in them.

Sirius is nervous. His hands can't stay still as he sees you take him in. And he can't help to do the same. Your hair is dishevelled, but he notices it looks wild nonetheless. You're dressed in a fluffy sweater and well-tailored coat, mittens adorning your hands.

You're not sure what to say to Sirius. But thankfully you don't have to because Professor Lupin mumbles something about not leaving the house, to the both of you.

"Wait", you call out, turning to the man, "I need to do some Christmas shopping..."

Lupin sighs, pursing his lips before sighing again. "When?"

"I beg you a pardon?"

"When do you want to go shopping? I'll pick you up, bring you to wherever you want to go shopping and I want you back in a certain amount of hours."

You swallow, just understanding the level of discreetness that comes with staying with an escapee. "Wednesday? Two o'clock for four hours?"

Lupin nods and turns around, disappearing with a pop.

"Let me... take you to your room", says Sirius after a moment of silence, the both of you not knowing what to say to each other.

As you are about to reach for your suitcase, Sirius stops you. "I've got a house elf for that. KREACHER?!" Sirius bellows the name of the poor elf, and you flinch. Sirius notices and visibly looks bad.

You wave him off. "I'm sorry, it's okay... It just reminds me of how Uncle Luce used to treat our previous house elf; Dobby. Kind creature, but skittish thanks to how my family treated him."

Sirius' brows knit as he takes your suitcase himself, leading you up the staircase of the townhouse. "Uncle Luce? You're not talking about Lucious Malfoy, are you?"