Chapter 25: Floating snails

A thick layer of snow covers the ground by the time the first Hogsmeade trip rolls around. You're bundled up in Theo's scarf and a thick jacket. Theo has his arm slung over your shoulders as he pulls you close to him to give you some of his warmth.

The two of you trail behind Blaise, Pansy, Draco and his two goons. Although, Draco slipped away from the group not long ago, giving you a weary look.

"Let's go to Honeyduke's! My sugar quills are almost gone", whines Pansy and you roll your eyes.

"We're going to Tomes and Scrolls, I need a new book", you say but the others don't pay you any mind, already closing the door behind them.

"Why do we even hang out with these people?", you grumble to Theo with an eye roll as he holds the door to the bookstore open for you.

Dusting the snow out of his and your hair, he answers, "because I like Blaise, and Blaise tolerates Draco and Pansy. And you like me, so you hang out with me. And Draco is family so you have to hang out with him."

You roll your eyes, knowing he's right. You start to browse around, pulling interesting books out to inspect them. Theo goes from hovering around you to going around the store for himself.

Once you've finished and queued up to the register, Theo appears out of nowhere and plucks the books out of your hands. "Theo!", you protest, trying to get the books back.

"No, let me pay for them." He holds the up high and out of your reach.

"I can pay for them myself perfectly fine!", you protest.

Theo holds you away at arm's length as slams the books on the counter and the amount the books cost. The lady behind the counter smiles fondly as she sees you and Theo — mostly you to be fair — struggling against each other while she wraps up the book.

With a triumphant smile, Theo leads you outside back into the snow as he holds the books. Because of course, he doesn't let you hold them.

A while further you spot Hermione and a smile spreads to your lips. "Hermione!", you call out and drag Theodore over her and her friends.

"No, why?", he whines in a whisper to you as he sees where you're pulling him.

"Because I like Hermione, and Hermione is friends with Harry and Ron. And you like me, so you hang out with me." You repeat his words from earlier with a grin on your face, which earns an eye roll from the boy.

Harry's eyes flicker from you to Theodore and to your interlocked hands. His face falls and he turns towards Ron, who looks annoyed to see you in general.

"Hi", you greet the girl, letting go of Theo. The two of you walk arm-in-arm, happily chatting while the boys walk behind you in tense silence; Ron in between Harry and Theo.

"I mean, Snape got the job and he still is a sour puss. The other day he gave us three inches extra on our essay because some students in the back of the classroom were talking", you complain and Hermione laughs.

Suddenly, someone screams and the five of you stop. A girl lays on the snow-covered ground while her friend stands over her. "I warned her! I warned her not to touch it!"

The girl on the ground suddenly starts to be pulled from left to right before floating in the air, her arms spread wide. Her mouth open wide as a breathless scream escapes her and a terrified look on her face before she drops helplessly.

Theo quickly rushes towards you and puts a protective arm around your middle.

"Don't get any closer. Go back, all of you." Hagrid appears out of nowhere and picks up the now unconscious girl. Something lays on the ground and as Harry moves towards it, the giant quickly stops him.