Chapter 21: Bliss

A laugh bubbles from eight-year-old you as you get chased by Draco with a frog in his hands around a tree. Draco and you secretly finished a Muggle story named The Princess and The Frog. The both of you did it secretly, in the furthermost corner of the attic.

When Draco, later on, spotted a frog hopping around, he grabbed it and now he is chasing you. Draco sees what you're doing and cuts around the tree. He manages to corner you and press the slimy creature in your face.

"Now you kiss it. Go on, cousin! Kiss your prince!" He has a bright smile on his face, one of his front teeth missing.

Suddenly, a loud and thunderous voice makes Draco drop the poor creature and both of you tense up. "DRACO! Y/N! What did I tell you?" Uncle Lucius comes storming out of the manor, his nostrils flared.

"Children should be seen, not heard", the two of you say in unison, eyes cast to the ground.

He gives the two of you one last stern look before returning back inside, slamming the door behind him. You and Draco look at each other before giggling and running off again to play with something else.

"Are you coming?"

Your attention gets pulled from the memory that seems so long ago. You shift your gaze from a miserable-looking Draco across Platform 9¾ to Theodore's outstretched hand. He gives you a reassuring smile and you nod. He pulls you into one of the floo network fireplaces at calls out a destination you're not familiar with. When you emerge, you're in a small cottage-like building with a couple of benches.

"We don't have our fireplace connected to the Floo network because- Father and I haven't been here since... Mother died."

It makes you look at the dark-haired boy with wide eyes. "We don't have to... We- we can stay anywhere else. I'm sure if- I can ask Sirius nicely to stay with him?" Unknowingly, you've grabbed his wrist to stop him from traversing up the hill along a dirt road.

He smiles at you softly, laying a hand on your cheek and kissing the top of your head. "I've had many happy memories here and I want to make even more with you."

Theo leaves you speechless while you follow after him. Your hand still secured in his, you stumble upon on the edge of a cliff that drops into the sea. What once was a stately home is now nothing more than outer walls and the foundation of the main building.

You turn towards Theo with raised eyebrows, asking wordlessly if he is sure this is it. He laughs and shakes his head.

"The magic makes it look old and rundown, keeps the Muggles away. But if you tap your wand against this stone like...", Theo fetches his wand from the inside pocket of his coat and taps twice against a non-distinct stone, the crumbling stones transform.

A gasp leaves your lips as a beautiful landhouse with a sprawling garden is in place of the ruins. Theo smiles as he leads you towards the double doors, your luggage already stacked neatly in the entrance.

The house is dark with wooden flooring and black wallpaper, but it's not creepy or stuffy. It's homey. It feels like home.

Theo leads you through the entirety of the house — the kitchen with the giant cauldron, a cramped dining room with more stuff to look at than eyes, the living room with a large fireplace and comfy chairs and couch where you see yourself spending your time with a good book, and the multi-floor tower that hosts a small library and home office.

"And at last", begins Theo as he swings open a door to a bedroom, "your sleeping quarters, madam." A large bed and a wardrobe fill the majority of the space. Under a wide window is a chaise in the perfect spot in the sun.

"My room is over there." He points to the door directly across from your bedroom.

Something inside of you slightly deflates. You didn't expect anything, but you've hoped to... share a bed with Theo. Why, you don't know. But you just assumed.

"Great", you say with a smile, it not quite reaching your eyes, "I'll unpack and see what we can do about dinner."

And when you've done so, you discover that there is only a loaf of mouldy, sagged-into-a-pile bread. Which isn't that weird as the house has been inhabited for many years. You give Theo a look of disgust and the two of you decide to make the short walk to the town.

It's a fairly sized town, getting most of its money from fishing. It has multiple shops, pubs and a supermarket. There is even a small brasserie going on in the town's square. You excitedly hit Theo's arm and point towards the stalls.

"When we've done our groceries, we'll go", he promises with a smile.

He pushes the shopping cart as he lets you lead around the supermarket. The two of you discuss back and forth about necessities and dinner plans for the foreseeable future and when you have to go back into town to replenish the groceries.

"Most food is probably good for a week- not counting the canned soups and frozen food", you argue, standing on the other end of the cart and holding onto the metal. "And if we do it every week, we can spread out the money better."

Theo purses his lips, scratching his forehead. With a huff, he agrees, "I guess you're right."

You giggle and lean forward. "I'm always right."

The dark-haired boy shakes his head and the two of you resume your way through the supermarket. He watches as you smile and make small talk with the cashier, something about staying just outside the village for the summer.

"I wonder sometimes why you weren't placed in Hufflepuff", says Theo as you and he walk over the small market in the town's square. He insists on carrying the grocery bag but he regrets it now as the weight of it starts to hurt his fingers.

"Because I'm the heir of Slytherin. My great grandfather many times removed ghost would personally strangle the Sorting Hat if that did happen." You casually wave the thought away as you browse over the contents of a stall.

"But you're so... nice."

That makes you laugh. "Slytherin's are nice."

Theo turns towards you, his eyes sad. "You're nice. The lot of us are just a bunch of twats. You've got every reason to be the most awful of them all. But, here you are, the embodiment of a good person."

His words make heat creep up your neck and your cheeks burn bright. You meet his eyes and you look away quickly.

"You're not so bad yourself."

DeleteCreated with Sketch.

You bury your toes in the sand as you sit on the small privet beach. The air smells deliciously like salt and the sun dances on your shoulders. Theo is diving around, his feed peeking out from the water. When he comes up again he holds up a big rock proudly.

"That's a very rock, Theo!", you call out with a teasing smile on your face.

He flips his hair out of his face as he walks towards you. "Are you patronizing me?", he asks in faux hurt.

You sit up straighter and hold up a hand to shield your eyes from the sun, looking up a Theo. "What? No! It is a really pretty rock!"

You laugh as he drops the rock — next to the others he has fished out of the sea — and leans over you to shake the water out of his hair. You squeal and hold up both hands to protect yourself from the cold seawater.

Theo grabs your middle and pulls you off the towel, towards the sea. You squirm in his hold, crying out in laughter as his cold chest presses against your back. The two of you laugh and scream as he chases you around.

He manages to catch you when you fall on the ground, Theo on top of you. Your chests heave as the both of you smile and giggle. He reaches out a hand to brush against your cheek, cupping it.

Everything slows down as he lowers his head, his eyes fluttering close. Your hands rest on his shoulders. You blink slowly and just as you want to press your lips against his, a figure appears in the corner of your eye.

You turn your head to the side and your eyes grow wide. "Aunt Cissy?"