twenty-one.

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE,
ring

        ARIELLA COULD HEAR HER heart beating in her ears as she ran down the hallway of the hospital

        ARIELLA COULD HEAR HER heart beating in her ears as she ran down the hallway of the hospital. There was yellow tape up and a group of officers, including Kim and Roman, standing next to the body, "Ross McCadden." Kim read all their minds as they stared at the white sheet covering the body in shock, "Six years on the job."

Adam ran a hand across his face, "He was my homeroom instructor at the academy." He informed them, "We were really good friends. I just talked to him." He took a breath and closed his eyes, "Somebody tell Jenny? Has his wife been notified, or..."

"Yeah. Street deputy and peer support team went to their house." Roman answered.

Ariella looked up at Antonio, who nodded. While Al and Kevin stepped into the hospital room where the intended target was now laying dead in his own hospital bed, Ariella an Antonio stepped away, quickly finding the security office in the hospital.

The security officer pulled up the footage and the two of them watched as McCadden was sat in a chair, standing in front of the other victim's room. McCadden stood up, his back to the shooter. He was completely unaware of the shooter, which gave the shooter the perfect opportunity to walk up and shoot him in the head.

"He never saw it coming." Antonio thought out loud.

"Horrible. Just... Horrible." The security officer shook his head. The video continued and showed the shooter walking into the hospital room and shot three times then walked out.

"Can you freeze that image?" Ariella asked. He froze the image, "Is this the only angle you have?"

"Yeah, that's it." The man nodded.

"All right, can you print this out please?" The man nodded at her request.

"Not a lot to go on. Sorry." He sounded sincere.

"We've started with less." Antonio sighed, keeping his eyes on the man frozen on the screen.

The door opened, and both Ariella and Antonio turned around to see who it was, "Hey." Adam greeted, "Voight's in the air on his way back from New York, wants everybody to meet at the district, two hours." He instructed.

━━━

Two hours later, all of them were congregated in the bullpen, including the two detectives who had flown back to Chicago with Voight, Erin, and Jay, "All right, you all remember Detective Rollins, New York Special Victims." Amanda looked around and nodded, "This is Detective Amaro. They have full jurisdictional powers here. And together... We're gonna end this." Voight stated.

"All right, this pedophile ring, they're desperate, well-connected, and clearly they'll do anything to avoid being exposed. We found the body in New York, but the head of the snake is here in Chicago." Voight explained.