fifteen.

CHAPTER FIFTEEN,
down the tubes

        ARIELLA AND ANTONIO WERE sitting at the kitchen table

        ARIELLA AND ANTONIO WERE sitting at the kitchen table. Antonio was feeding Luca, who was babbling in his own little baby talk. She went to open her mouth, but he stopped her, "Don't even." He stopped her.

"Antonio, you got shot." She reminded him.

"So? You did, too." He pointed out, "You went into the field pregnant. I think I can go back into the field after a few gunshots." She sighed, shaking her head and standing up to put her mug in the sink.

"You know, supportive wives support their husband's decisions to go back to work to earn money for their family." Antonio tried to convince her, walking up behind her and wrapping his arms around her waist, and leaning his head on her shoulder, placing a soft kiss on it.

"Most husband's jobs don't involve getting shot at." Ariella pointed out.

"Come on." He begged.

"If you want to go back to work, fine. Just no going out in the field." She pointed at him.

"Fine." He raised his hands in surrender. Ariella's phone beeped in her back pocket, and she looked down at it. Her brows furrowed together as she read the text, "What is it?" He asked.

"I gotta go." Was all she said. She ran over to the front door, grabbed her keys and jacket, then quickly put on her shoes.

"Ariella, what is it?" He asked.

"I can't talk. I need to go." She said, opened the door, and ran out. When she got to the destination, she got out of her car and practically sprinted towards the house.

She ripped open the gate, almost ripping it off the hinges, already hearing a child screaming from outside, "You had every opportunity to reach out to me. Every opportunity, you shut me out!" She heard Charlie yelling from outside. She ran inside and pulled him off of Annie.

"Stop!" She yelled.

"Ariella," Annie shouted. She had a cut on her lip and some blood coming from her temple.

"She's fine! She's fine." Charlie shouted.

"Are you okay?" Ariella asked, bending down in front of Annie.

"Yes." She nodded.

She whipped around to face the man, "You're gonna wish you'd stayed out of Chicago, Charlie." Ariella threatened.

"No, what you're gonna wish is that I'd forgotten all about Sandoval. But I haven't, have I? You want to take me in? Let's go. I'm happy to tell everyone what happened, not five streets from here if I recall. Or, hey, I got an idea. Instead of the past, why don't we focus on the future?" He asked.

"Sure. What do you want? How much?" Ariella asked

"More than you can afford on a cop's salary. I'm gonna need the old Rivera for this one." Charlie handed her a piece of paper.