five.

CHAPTER FIVE,
thirty balloons

        "WHAT DO WE GOT?" Were the first words out of Voight's as soon as he got to the hospital with Ariella and Antonio

"Female, white, just got out of surgery," Kevin answered.

"I heard female white knocked you around pretty good," Ariella commented.

"Whatever she was on gave her the strength of ten men." He brushed it off as he buttoned up a clean shirt.

"Hmm." Ariella hummed.

"No ID All she had on her was this plane ticket. She landed at O'Hare this morning from Cabo San Lucas." Kim handed Antonio the plane ticket.

"Just how much cocaine does she have on her?" He asked.

"Not on her. Inside her." Kim corrected.

━━━

"Normally, when cops drag screamers in here, we just give 'em a Haldol cocktail and send them into detox, but she started convulsing, and I knew right away this was different." The doctor explained to the three of them.

Ariella glanced over at the unconscious girl, "Welcome to Chicago, distribution center of the midwest." Antonio said.

"We removed 29 condoms full of cocaine, though she swallowed 30. One broke open and started to dissolve into her stomach. The drug leaked into her bloodstream, causing her psychosis, so I ordered emergency surgery." She opened the tray sitting on the table that contained all the balloons. Antonio snapped on a pair of gloves, "Never ceases to amaze me what people will do for money."

"Well, sometimes, people don't feel like they have a choice." Ariella sighed, and both Voight and Antonio glanced over at her.

"I tested the residue on the broken balloon. It's 89% pure. That's the highest grade I've ever seen." The doctor continued.

"All these must be 50k street value," Antonio said.

"Easy," Voight nodded in agreement.

"So what do we think? Cartel's getting smart recruiting all-American types?" Ariella asked.

"They're full of air pockets." Antonio held up the balloon, "That's why they busted. It's amateur hour. The cartel wouldn't be this careless."

"We need to question her. How soon till she's conscious?" Voight asked.

"Two, maybe three hours." The doctor answered.