nineteen.

CHAPTER NINETEEN,
corn dogs

        "SO YOU KNEW THE victim?" Voight asked Jay

"Maddie Callahan. She worked there." Jay nodded.

"No I.D. on the shooter?" Voight asked.

"No, the patrol's going door to door in the neighborhood looking for witnesses," Ariella told him.

Antonio hung up the phone, "That was the hospital. Your friend's in ICU, but she's alive." He told Jay.

"Thanks." Jay nodded.

"Hey, it's not your fault." Antonio reassured him, then took a step back, "Someone needs to talk to Bembenek."

"Oh, Olinsky's already on that." Voight nodded.

"A black Arcadia was found abandoned in Englewood. It matches the description of the getaway vehicle, but there's no prints. They torched it." Kevin announced, walking into the bullpen.

"White male just checked into a South Side clinic about a half hour ago, two bullet wounds," Adam added.

"All right, Ariella, Antonio, get on it." Voight announced, and Jay got up, grabbing his jacket, "No, no, no, Jay. You're in protective custody until this dies down."

"They shot my friend. They nearly killed me and Erin." Ariella took a deep breath, following Antonio down towards the lobby.

Ariella smiled at Nadia, who was walking up the stairs, "Hey." They both smiled at each other.

"Oh, Ariella." Ariella heard a familiar voice call her name. She turned her head into the small office, where Bunny, Erin's mom was standing, "I thought that was you." Bunny smiled at her.

"You've gotta be kidding me." Ariella scoffed.

"Who's that," Antonio asked his wife.

"It's nothing. I'll meet you in the car." She told him.

"Yeah, and the last time you told me that-"

"Yeah, yeah. I'll tell you later. Just go." She cut him off, pushing him out the door. She walked into the office, "Bunny." She greeted.

"Oh, it's so nice to see you." Bunny pulled her into a hug. Ariella couldn't hug back since her arms were stuck at her sides, "So, how have you been?"

"Look, it's really nice to see you all. But if you wanted to catch up, now isn't the best timing. We're kind of in the middle of something." Ariella told her.

"Oh, of course." Bunny nodded, "Do you think you could get ahold of Erin? I have something to tell her."

"I guess. What do you want me to tell her?" Ariella asked, crossing her arms across her chest.